7stanes + weather = ?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited June 2007 in MTB general
I'm gonna be heading up for 6 days of riding up in the 7stanes (dalbeattie, mabie, ae, kirroughtree,glentress and innerleithen) and i'm a tad worried about the weather. will these tracks still be alright or are there any I should give a miss. any better than others for wet weather riding. I'm kinda hoping it brightens up next week :(
also are there any other problems anyone knows of with any of these trails/places? I'm doing all the red/black XC/bike park courses.
thanks

Comments

• JohnnyTheFox
    JohnnyTheFox Posts: 307
    There generally very well drained and never get too muddy. I can only comment on Mabie and GT but they were both fine in a bit of drizzle.

If your heading out onto the black at Glentress in bad weather be aware though its very exposed in places to the weather and your pretty far from the trail head so bring all your waterproofs. Other than the usual rocks are slippy when wet stuff it should be fine.
  • dirtbiker100
    thats settled me a bit thanks. just was worried that after all the rain recently there might be some unrideable areas.
  • euan_333
    euan_333 Posts: 667
    Kirroughtree has alot of rocks, might not be the best in the wet. Although ive seen many people riding it in the rain.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">Euan Crawford</font id="red"><b><h6>But this one goes up to eleven...</h6></b>
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">Euan Crawford</font id="red"><b><h6>But this one goes up to eleven...</h6></b>
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I'm going to be around kirroughtree, glentress and mabie in 2 weeks time, so I hope they get some decent sun up there to dry out the trails a bit. Being a bit of a novice its the wet tree roots that give me most problems, more so than mud anyway!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    GT was a huge amount of fun in the wet last weekend, AE has some very rocky sections and could be a bit tricky. Only ever been at Kirroughtree in the dry but can't see it being a problem in the wet. Inners will be fine too but can't comment on the other two.

Like Johnny said the 7 stanes do tend to have good drainage and cope well with the wet.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Yep, most of it is well drained and not very prone to mud/water logging. Being the scottish borders, there is usually a fair bit of rain so you don't really need to worry. Snow is when it becomes a problem.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="teal">~~</font id="teal"><font color="black">S</font id="black"><font color="maroon">tump</font id="maroon"><font color="black">J</font id="black"><font color="maroon">umper</font id="maroon"><font color="teal">~~</font id="teal"></center>
  • dirtbiker100
    And I wouldn't be suprised if it did start snowing!
    Thanks v much for the replies. I don't feel to bad about the whole trip now. wet rocks and roots we can cope with, washed away sections and mud bogs are a bit more troublesome :D
    thanks again