New Fork Advice

MickyMick
MickyMick Posts: 33
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi!

Sorry if this is the wrong area for this post but I'm a First time poster...so please be gentle!

Cutting to the chase. I have a Specialized Rockhopper 2003 edition bought at end of 2002 which came with 2002 Manitou Axel front forks. I recently snapped them in half and now have to find a new pair. Bit of a bummer really as I've only got back into the sport after a couple of years of problematic leg injuries and jsut when the weight is starting o fall off and the fitness is incresing. Also, i'm currently unemployed and was hoping the bike would have lasted another year before I upgraded after finding new employment.

Anyway...because of this i'm ideally going to find a replacement around the œ100-œ200 mark that will suit a 17.5 stone 6'1" male who generally rides roads during the week for fitness and cross country at 7-stanes centres at the weekend (usually Glentress , Mabie or Ae).

from What i've read so far most people seem to suggest Rockshox Tora 318's or Marzocchi MZ Comps. Are there any others worth considering and are they suitable for my weight and 7-stanes riding. Will/can i adjust the shocks easily enough to suit my weight? I noticed on the Rock Shox website that the Tora 318's have a travel of: 80/100/130mm / 85-130mm what exactly does this mean? Does it mean i buy the forks with either 80/100/130mm travel or that they can be adjusted to between 85-130mm of travel? (did that make sense??!!)

Should have added that i used to notice that my manitou's used to bottom out if any drops were greater than 1.5' - 2' but this was probably due to my weight.

Thanks in advance for any help.
MickyMick

Comments