Pikes Motion control

Nickle1988
Nickle1988 Posts: 51
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i have recently purchased a set of rock shox pike for my all mountain rig. I am just wondering if anybody could walk me through how to use the motion control. i was playing around on the bike yesterday doin a bit of street riding on me jump bike which at present is waiting for new forks, they where btooming out with the travel open. From what i have read on the internet if you put the in the lock posistion and adjust the floodgate this should stiffen them up. I just think it is strange that you put them in the lock mode as the previous manitou fork i had would of hated to be jumped in lockout. I am just wondering if i have the right idea about the compression and the floodgate and if not can anybody tell me how to adjust them.
Thanks
Nick
the only was to push your limits is to overstep then now and then

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you got a manual?

which pikes you realives there are quite a few versions.

and if i get this you have not got them yet?

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nickle1988
    Sorry for making it unclear yeah i have got the forks. They are Rock shox pike 426 With poploc 2007 model. The manuel actually did not come with the forks i got them fitted when i was in wales and they did not give me the manual. When i got half way home i then realised and i can not be bothered to go back for it cos its about a 6 hour drive
  • nicklouse
    download it fron RS's site then. linky in the tech links sticky.

if there is something you then dont get ask. but i am not going to retype the manual.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • Nickle1988
    ok cheers dude will do
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    the lockout has a floodgate. the floodgate is the little dial on top of the blue lockout dial. when you lock the forks out, you can set the floodgate (the 'blowout' if you may) to compress on a certain amount of pressure. something like that can be useful in uch things like 4x racing, where the forks only ocmpress when needed.

Set the blue lock dial all the way clockwise to lock, then turn the goldy silver floodgate dial until the correct amount of pressure is met when you compress the forks.

<b><font color="red"> MON BICI!!
    myspaz</b></font id="red">
    BatRacer
  • Dangerous Dave
    Dangerous Dave Posts: 8,349
    First of all, i presume there is a good reason for driving to wales to get the forks?

Second: Click here for Manuals for your fork

Adjustments are all the same, just done in slightly different ways depending on the œœœ.

Motion control works a little like this:

You get a big plastic spring that is the same size of the stanchion so oil can't get up past it, only through it.
    When set to open, oil is pushed up through the spring and everything squishes around nicely.
    Now imagine a valve that goes through this spring - this is attached to your floodgate.
    Turn the fork on to lock, this valve closes and stops the oil from flowing up through the spring.
    If you hit a hard enough hit to compress this plastic spring and then bypasses the floodgate valve - effectively giving you a "blowoff".
    Now the floodgate adjustment, whether external or internal, basically sets the initial position of this valve: further up inside the plastic spring and you have to hit something harder to bypass it - if its sitting further down it'll be easier to bypass it.

So thats an explination of the internal workings of it. Enjoy twiddling.

I will say that the "Blowoff" does prevent serious damage from hitting bumps when the fork is locked - but continued use with it like this will eventually break the fork - if you're bottoming really badly it might be best to get a heavier rate spring from Rockshox. Prices and your local dealers can be found here: http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="red">[<font color="black">another random post by</font id="black">]</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font size="2"><i><b><font color="black"><font face="Verdana">B<font color="red">i</font id="red">GDaVe</font id="Verdana"></font id="black"><font color="red">!</font id="red">[}:)]</b></i></font id="size2"><font color="black"><font size="1"><center>[}:)]<font face="Trebuchet MS">GeT Orf YeR ASs AnD RIdE A BIkE</font id="Trebuchet MS"></font id="black">[}:)]</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><font color="black">Chameleon</font id="black"> | <font color="black">RaveRacing</font id="black"> | <font color="black">Uber Gemini</font id="black"></center></font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>
    <center>As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'. [:D]</font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Shut up. And ride your bike.
    Originally posted by Jon
    As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Is there no compression damping adjustment on the forks?

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • Dangerous Dave
    Idiot, motion control is compression damping. Read the above posts!!!

Compression damping is <b>NOT</b> a substitue for having too soft a spring.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="red">[<font color="black">another random post by</font id="black">]</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font size="2"><i><b><font color="black"><font face="Verdana">B<font color="red">i</font id="red">GDaVe</font id="Verdana"></font id="black"><font color="red">!</font id="red">[}:)]</b></i></font id="size2"><font color="black"><font size="1"><center>[}:)]<font face="Trebuchet MS">GeT Orf YeR ASs AnD RIdE A BIkE</font id="Trebuchet MS"></font id="black">[}:)]</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><font color="black">Chameleon</font id="black"> | <font color="black">RaveRacing</font id="black"> | <font color="black">Uber Gemini</font id="black"></center></font id="size1">
    <center>As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'. [:D]</font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Originally posted by Jon
    As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dangerous Dave</i>

Idiot, motion control is compression damping. Read the above posts!!!

Compression damping is <b>NOT</b> a substitue for having too soft a spring.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At no point did you mention compression. you were talking about floodgates and lockout. i'm sorry for not being captain f*cking incredible.

And Yes, i'm aware that compression damping ISNT a substitute for a soft spring. But if your going through travel too quickly you can increase damping to slow it down.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    but really on pikes, its going to be fully locked or fully unlocked, not really compression adjusted.

unless you have poploc.

BatRacer
  • nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by anto164</i>

but really on pikes, its going to be fully locked or fully unlocked, not really compression adjusted.

unless you have poploc.

BatRacer
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

it depends on the poplock fitted and what version sprung loaded or not.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • Dangerous Dave
    No I suppose I didn't mention Compression damping. and I apologise for that, perhaps I should have made it more clear that compression damping was what I was effectively describing, as this is what Motion Control is? I suppose I should have been more clear.
    And apology for not being captain incredible accepted. [;)]
    Sorry but it annoys me when people just suggest straight away that you need to set the compression damping higher before checking the sag.

Couple of things:
    Lockout is effectively compression damping.
    Motion control is not a true lockout (unless you weigh naff all) as there is always a slight movement from the Motion Control spring.

Yes, letting the fork bottoming out will not do it good, but then neither will using excessive compression damping/form of lock out to counter it - if the sag is not set right.
    The end of the day, you either need the correct spring (which can be found on Fisheroutdoor website (RockShox Distributor) then going to your local dealer) or set it up correctly in terms of the air pressure if it's the dual air model. (see manual link in my post above)

Ok. Motion control is essentially compression damping.
    It comes in a couple of different formats but essentially all achieve the same thing, when fully activated you get an extreme compression adjustment that barely moves, and the floodgate sets how much force is required to open the valve and let it move fully again.

Now with the basic models of Pike you get a big blue lever on the top of the fork, which you can actually progressively turn to full lock. So this means you can set the initial amount of compression damping on the fork. Then you get the floodgate that sets how much force is needed to over come this. Either internal (little allen key) or external, they both do the same thing.

Pop lock is either fully open or fully closed, (unless you hold the bar mounted lever in the place you want!) but you can still set the floodgate low so that it "blows off" easily.
    Check your sag, it should be about 20-30% depending on your riding style. more for fast dh trailwork, less if you're a street/jump star.

Originally posted by Jon