Popping Spokes

JohnnyTheFox
JohnnyTheFox Posts: 307
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
A few weeks ago I broke a spoke and not having the time or tools to learn how to sort it I gave to the shop who did a very good job of replacing it and truing it up.

Same thing happened again on the same wheel yesterday, is it time for a complete rebuild with new spokes? The bikes almost 3 years old now so I'm thinking it's taken a fair amount of abuse so there probably getting a bit creaky. Or is this a one off and could I save myself a chunk of cash to go on new wheels, hmmm?

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Yep,they will keep snapping so time for a new wheel
  • Starky
    Starky Posts: 546
    You will also find that if the wheels came on the bike then the spokes used wont be as strong as the ones normally used in custom wheel builds so it should make a big difference having the wheels rebuild. If you can get the wheels rebuild using DT swiss spokes as they are probable the best out there

<center>My jump bike My baby bike My road bike</center>
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    Intresting... Mine keep going at the back, mabey about 2 a month! How much would someone charge for a re-build, possiblty some rim pressing too?!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • Starky
    For a wheel rebuild expect about œ20 and spokes are about 40p each for double butted silver or 60p each for double butted black

• JinjaNinja
    That ain't too bad then... I can probably get the spokes for cheap/free!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

logo.jpg
  • Starky
    if your getting cheap spokes make sure they are decent spokes otherwise there is no point in rebuilding the wheel

• JinjaNinja
    No there DT swiss, I just help a mate who works in LBS by doing the odd saturday shift. I could probably get him to re-build it for me and pay him in beer, but i'd rather send it to somwhere specalist.

logo.jpg
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Look on CRC or Merlin, they do custom builds but you'll also need new hubs
  • JohnnyTheFox
    JohnnyTheFox Posts: 307
    Aaah lots of replies ta. Yeah I think I'll just get it rebuilt. The shop I goto is kind of vauge about their brands of stuff so I'll ask about the spokes.

It's a Mavic 117 rim, it's been good so I'll probably wait till later in the year for some new ones maybe, when I have the cash...
  • yoadius
    yoadius Posts: 541
    I had the same problem when my wheel was laced up as a 4 cross pattern. I was told that it places too much stress on the spoke heads and is prone to snapping.

Now have 3 cross and had no such problems, though this may be down to have it built by hand.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of 'Grease'?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of \'Grease\'?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • harryo
    harryo Posts: 73
    you dont need a new wheel. but your wheel needs rebuilding it will set you back about œ15

@~~~~