first proper xc ride

dakkar
dakkar Posts: 64
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
Went out on my first proper mountain ride on sunday over Chinley Churn in the Dark Peak area. Long steep climg and terrential weather, but still some great views to make it worth while, but then again so was the single track stuff over the top and the very scary descent. Very exciting and fast, thank goodness for disk brakes,hard work on my palms, makes me wonder what I have been doing with my life all this time. Used to be on road bikes but it doesn't compare with the mixed variety of sunday

Comments

• Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I'm planning on doing Chinley Churn in a few weeks.

Being out in the hills is great isn't it?!

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • dakkar
    absalutley. Its addictive, looking forwards to more routes in the Dark Peak
  • Noodoo
    have you got the CD with the routes on from 'Bike Maps'?
    http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak_district_dark_peak.htm

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • dakkar
    No I haven't got the CD but the description of Chinley Churn sounds exactly like the route I rode. But I started and finished at Marple Roman Lakes, following the route from a guide book I bought at the Lakes for a pound. It also has about another 13 classic rides around the dark peak, absalute bargin!
  • Noodoo
    I know the routes on BikeMaps are available in a book, so it's probably a case of the route being reproduced in a few places.

Drop me a line if you fancy a ride in the peaks with a few novices at some point.
    mini_flame (at) hotmail.com

• Noodoo wrote:
    have you got the CD with the routes on from 'Bike Maps'?
    http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak_district_dark_peak.htm

hmmm.. i've got a pamphlet of that series but it's an absolute pile of sh1te, you can't find the way by it at all - you need an OS map aswell. Maybe the book with the cd would be better.
    wonder what it says about blacka moor - i've been getting to grips with that recently.