Which Giant?

JumperSimon14
JumperSimon14 Posts: 284
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
Anthem 2
Trance 2
Reign 1/2

What I do is off road stuff going along the local footpaths next to the river trent and around twice a month go to sherwood pines ect. and I also do road riding for the family ride ocasionally.

I am 6ft 2" and am expected to be 6ft 7" so i think I will be needing the 22" or 21" frame.

Which bike should I go for?

<center><font color="black">My Pinkbike Album</font id="black">
<font color="black">STP Zero</font id="black">
</center>
Giant XTC 2.5 '08
Felt Virtue 3 '10
Giant Defy 2 '11
Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
Fit Team Park Bmx '08

Comments

• May do a custom build with a budget of œ1500, if you suggest that what parts I get

<center><font color="black">My Pinkbike Album</font id="black">
    <font color="black">STP Zero</font id="black">
    </center>
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    I dont know sherwood pines, but guess its fire roads and single track. If so the anthem would be ideal.
  • make sure you go and try a few different sized frames,im 6'2" and ride an 18" trance 4.on paper i should have a 20" frame but when i tried one it didn't feel at all right.
    i take it you're from notts,so maybe leisure lakes will have them in.
    hth

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=141380
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    top tube is long on the trance, my mate is 6'2" and usually rides a 19" and he could ride my 16" trance comfortably, though I reckon an 18" would be spot on.
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    Assuming Sherwood Pines isn't some insane downhill course (never been there myself) I'd go with the Trance. A short travel full susser, built up quite tough rather than ultra light is a great trail partner to have.
  • acid
    acid Posts: 2,161
    anthem will suit you perfect, never been to sherwood pines but they do nps xc races there so th eanthem will be more than enough, i am only 5 8" but i ride a large could probably have got away with medium but i like a long top tube

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/? ... age=431836

WWW.GUERNSEYVELO.ORG.GG

WWW.GUERNSEYDHR.COM
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    edited July 2007
    Anthem is the bike for you (if you're set on a Giant anyway).

Personally I think you should settle on the type of bike you want/need first (fast XC racer, mid travel do it all, or big travel beast). Then look at the best options from a number of manufacturers. The Anthem and Reign really are completely different beasts.

However for fast trails that you describe (not sure what Sherwood is like) the Anthem is superb.

BTW I'm about 5'9" and I ride the 18" Anthem (medium) - it suits me just fine.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    I would of said none of them.
    What I do is off road stuff going along the local footpaths next to the river trent and around twice a month go to sherwood pines ect

I don't know what it's like around either place but it sounds like you'd be better off on a good hardtail MTB.
  • Stewwmb
    Stewwmb Posts: 257
    I wouldnt say that sherwood pines needs a full sus bike really, it is basically fireroads with lots of single track but its all very smooth.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Fair point from Gary and Stewart. Why are you after a FS?

Though to be fair my Anthem is as fast (and more more comfortable) as my old HT even on the smooth stuff
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    A better specced hardtail would be more suited to the type of riding you describe. Keep it simple, keep it light. Perhaps a Marin Indian Fire Trail. You could also go for the top of the range Rock Lobster Team Ti, with all the added extras. Lots of kit, lots of value. A bit easier on the trails as well, thanks to the Ti frame + carbon bars.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • trengot
    trengot Posts: 133
    with £1500 couldn't you get one of the high end hardtail stumpjumpers?

or if you are wanting a full sus have a look at the stumpy fsr. also a good trail bike.

out of the three suggestions you gave i'd go for the trance unless you want to race.
  • johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten Posts: 216
    Heya!

ANTHEM! Not biased, it's just that I have one :D It's light, and well specced as standard. You do notice aabig difference in the cockpit between the Anthem and the Trance though, the Trance is a good bit more relaxed, but I prefer being a bit streched out. Personal choices and all that.

Your riding requirements sound similar to mine, and I couldn't fault the Anthem. I use it off road and on the roads with no dramas at all, bar getting rid of the Hutchinson Pirhanas.

When my fitness improves a bit more I will be happy to race with this bike.