Specialized FSR XC Comp + New foirks

Scubar
Scubar Posts: 453
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
As i have still not decided what new XC Full sus bike i want yet i am going to test ride the new Specialized FSR XC Comp, If i like it i might well buy one, the only thing i was thinking of changing on it would be the front forks. I really dont like the silver OEM Recons. Do you think these would be a good pair of replacements. Should take off another 1lb of weight aswell over the heavier recons.

Rock Shox Reba Team Air U-Turn & Poploc 2007
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8701

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its a good fork, but not much lighter than the recon. The recon is an excellent unit. Why not buy an FSR XC Pro for 1299? Has a Reba SL, which is practically the same as the team bar the hollow crown and external floodgate adjuster, and has other better components for less than the 385 quid outlay above. not worth it.

<center><font size="1"><font color="red">GT Zaskar LE</font id="red">
    <font color="red">GT Ruckus</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Me!</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Supersonic</font id="red"><hr noshade size="1"><font color="red">Park Tools - help and instructions for all general bike fixes</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Sheldon Brown - info about anything and everything</font id="red"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Scubar
    The FSR XC Pro looks disgusting in that red colour, If i could get the Pro in Black then i would get that instead.

The plan would be to buy the XC Comp, Upgrade the forks to Reba, Sell the Recons in brand new cond for about œ170 meaning i wold have spent around a total of œ1200, then with the extra œ99 i could put an XT Hollowtech chainset on. Then it would be the same price as the Pro and the only real diff would be the rear shock which on the PRo has Pro Pedal

The Recons are around 4.5lbs in weight whereas the Rebas are 3.49lb so that is a good 1lb diff.

If it werent for the fact that the Stumpjumper FSR Comp felt horrible to ride and had sram shifters i would have bought that already. Just the geometry of the frame didnt agree with me at all, i felt like i had no control over the bike.

• garyo
    garyo Posts: 1
    Go for the Stumpy FSR Comp, I had an FSR XC Pro on order with my LBS, found it hard to find reviews on it, wondered why, then thought, maybe people are going for a different model, and they were, the Stumpy. I agree about the colour of the FSR XC Pro, I wasn't gone on the red, screams a bit "look at me". For a little more dosh, you get a heck of a lot more bike, M5 frame, Juicy 5's, DT Swiss Rims, etc., needless to say, I changed my order, got the Stumpy, and am very happy!
  • norfolkguy
    norfolkguy Posts: 114
    I have a stumpy FSR too. Superb but I got an upgraded one with Magura Marta brakes and Pace RC 39 fork and XTR groupset on it. Love it to bits despte problem with rear brake lever which i hope is now resolved
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Scubar wrote:

If it werent for the fact that the Stumpjumper FSR Comp felt horrible to ride and had sram shifters i would have bought that already. Just the geometry of the frame didnt agree with me at all, i felt like i had no control over the bike.

Bad tyres? The Stumpy FSR is one of the easiest and most playful bikes to ride I have ever come across.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • DSA244
    DSA244 Posts: 66
    If the Stumpy doesn't work for you then obviously your making the riight decision not to buy it, however, I don't think you are going about it the right way with the XC Comp by buying new shocks straight away. If thats the bike you want I would go for the PRO despite being £99 more by your calculations (thats if you do get what you ant for your shocks). Like you say the PRO comes with Pro-pedal, in my opinion propedal is very useful, esecially for the uneven/slippery/loose stones steep climbs.

I would also mention that if your budget is strict and you are not in a hurry to buy the sales are only around the corner so you can buy a better bike that ticks all the boxes.
  • Scubar
    Its ok now as ive found the bike im going to go with, Im just saving up the cash to afford it. Ive picked the Cube AMS Pro 125 , it looks nicer than the stumpys, has rockshox revelations with poploc ( dont like fox front forks ) , has the fox RP23 rear shock with 125mm travel, has xt components and some pretty good brakes from what ive heard about the formula oro range. Ill probably upgrade it to the full 08 XT groupset when that becomes available as i can use the old XT components on a frame i have thats a WIP.