First bike.

echo7
echo7 Posts: 13
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
Ok I have posted before but I have decided to up my budget a little

Choices for cross country use mainly

Specalized epic the basic 1 œ1500

Specialized Rockhopper pro œ949

I dont want to spend silly money as all the equpiment I need as well will cost a bit ...ie some good lights for night riding/shoes/helmet etc..

Ive read thats its best to learn your skills on a hardtail but Im still wondering what 1 to go for?

Ideas pls//

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    A hard tail can be better to learn on because you have to learn the hard way by having to move your weight about more.
    Out of the two the rock hopper pro

<hr noshade size="1"><center><h5><font color="red">Kinesis Maxlight XC</font id="red"></h5></center>
  • Second the 'Hopper Pro, very good bit of kit & it leaves you a little cash for the essential equipment.

It is better to learn on a H/Tail as you need to choose your lines & learn the basics, opposed to a full suss with which you don't learn the skills as well & just charge through the trails.

My Bikes howies© Orange Bikes
  • Minnsy
    Minnsy Posts: 8
    Started on a rockhopper (whilst all mates had full suspension) it is a great bit of kit - the only downside being on most fast downhill bits where the back wheel will leave the ground, and your camelback will end up on top of your head! Road it for 3 years..

Then got an Epic frame, and took all the bits from the 'hopper across..The difference going downhill was a revelation!

Can't go wrong with either bike...
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I don't like when people say "you're so much better to learn on a hardtail...yadda yadda yadda". Yes, taking the smoothest lines is all well and good but you can have so much more fun when you take the rougher lines that a FS bike can handle. You still have to move your weight around on a FS bike, especially on a racey bike like the Epic.

I'd go with the Epic, it will be a great bike to get you into MTBing properly. Nice and light so you can push yourself on the climbs with added traction from it being FS.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Id say the rockhopper would be a good start, the cheap epic isnt all that great, the brain shock system is very picky and doesnt always work properly if your riding along and hit a hard bump it doesnt react quick enough to engage the shock. Why not try the Specialized FSR XC or Stumpjumper FSR

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    The Brain Fade shock was updated quite a bit in the past couple years. Its supposed to be a lot better than previous incarnations. You can run it pretty much fully open if it doesn't suit.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    Hopper but to aid your decision see if yo ucan have a ride first. I'd recommend at least trialing a FS bike on a fairly long ride to see what you think, I really like mine for quick couple of hours but anytihng longer and it drains my legs fast.
  • echo7
    Thanks for all the input... The choice has been decided for me really..

I find out for definate tomorrow but it looks like I might be the proud owner of 2007 epic expert ex-test bike..

Its only done about 50 gentle miles apparently and is in perfect nick..

Its also in orange and looks sexy as hell..

The cost.. well lets just say its nearly half price[:0]
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    be sure to post some nice pics of it then when you get it.

• Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by echo7</i>
    ex-test bike..

Its only done about 50 gentle miles apparently
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You honestly believe that? Test bikes get well maintained, but be under no illusions: it's been ragged. Hard.
  • echo7
    Well picked my baby up last week and its the dog's

[img][/img]img1027qs7.jpg
    Shot with Canon PowerShot S80 at 2007-07-17

07 expert .. Ive changed the seatpost .Also yet to try out my night light nightmare pro
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=13625
    Bargin IMO

The bike was also a bargin so some money left to upgrade a bit ..need some advice as im thinking of getting

Mavis crossmax slr
    XTR crankset
    XTR derailer
    XTR cassette
    Thompson X4 stem
    Easton carbon xc handlebars/ or the specialized carbon ones
    Avid matchmaker

Before you ask I would never race.. Its just i'm sooo unfit I need all the help i can get to make it up them dam hills :oops: