how do i start racing

jib74
jib74 Posts: 12
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
hi guys,want to try a bit of cross country racing but no idea of whats needed,where are races held and how to get started.At the moment have a focus raven running juicy 5's f&r with fox f100rlc's.Any advice hints or tips welcome.Cheers one and all

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    where are you based? you bike seems fine for racing.

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
  • jib74
    jib74 Posts: 12
    based in portsmouth and not sure of any races held around here or if i have to go a bit further afield to find some racing
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    go to the British Cycling website - after a bit of hunting around you should be able to find all the races in your area.

Doesnt matter how heavy your bike is or how fit you are, unless youre planning on winning, just turn up and enjoy...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • trengot
    trengot Posts: 133
    Its a bit further afield than your local area but the Gorrick series is well organised and has some really good tracks. It is based just west of london.

Have a look at www.gorrick.com

For some reason i can't link to it. Any ideas how i do it?
  • Hello, I'd also like to have a go at XC racing, but can't seem to find any basic info (even at xcracer.com).
    What I'd like to know is how long the courses are (though I know this varies), and what sort of time I ought to be looking at doing anything in; ie will I turn up and find myself humiliated?
    I am a reasonably fit weekend warrior with a stock Specialized Rockhopper Comp hardtail.
    I live in the home counties.
    I'm really not into the DH scene - I just want to have a bit of fun on some not-too-technical tracks.
    Thanks for your help.
    PS just had a look at Gorrick - think it answers many of my questions. May take the plunge and just go along..
  • Hey

I too am looking at getting into so XC racing and I am also in Portsmouth.

Hacking round the South Downs is fun but some more organised competition would be great.

Gorrick has some of the answers.
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • Just entered the both Gorrick Autumn Classics in October.

Its easy and you can pay online here: http://www.gorrick.com/racing/autumn/

Time to get on with training
    The Prince

• Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    do as I did. get out and ride. get some comfy bike clothing, ie shorts, jersey (preferably raceface) a decent helmet, and definitely a camelbak hydration pack. If you're in good health, do your maximum, you dont want to plateau
    spammer
  • ANDE.B
    ANDE.B Posts: 544
    Get some lycra!
    i'd want to be doing 1 1/2 hour training rides for gorrick...
    My Pinkbike Pics
    "Cycling is just like church - many attend, but few understand." Jim Burlant
  • Get entered for the Autumn classics. I am running in the 'Fun' class on the 7th Oct and the 'Open' class on the 4th Nov. http://www.gorrick.com/racing/autumn/

I am up at Queen Liz training most Sundays and pumping out 100 km a week in the gym.

Maybe see you up Queen Liz.
    The Prince