for your information...

ajdriver
ajdriver Posts: 21
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I posted a while ago asking why my new set of gears and chain skips when in midrange gears. I got the usual replies, they must be all the same age / wear, check alignment etc, which i appreciate. But it didnt fix it.
Ended up taking it to the bike shop, they made it slightly better by tightening the wheel (there was a tiny bit of play) and adjusting a few bits n pieces.
but that didn't fix it really.
So today i tried a different chain, and it works perfect.

So this doesn't work well:
1 of SRAM PC68 8 Speed Chain
1 of SRAM PG850 8 Speed Cassette (1132)
1 of White Lightning Original Lubricant 270ml Aerosol
with a new LX crank set

but i changed the chain to a PC58, the next one down in the range and its fine.

The pc58 chain is a few months old so has a bit of wear, but not much.
I also noticed that the pc68 chain is slightly narrower but the pitch is the same. and it costs œ10 more.

Comments

• JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    Make sure your running the right speed chain for the bike. I 9 speed chain is not going to like 8 gears on the back and vice versa.
    Infact, that may have been your original problem!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • ajdriver
    ajdriver Posts: 21
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

Make sure your running the right speed chain for the bike. I 9 speed chain is not going to like 8 gears on the back and vice versa.
    Infact, that may have been your original problem!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No, i checked that, and although thats what the symptons show the sp68 is an 8 speed chain, if it was a 9 speed it would be called a sp69