8 Speed Chain

Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet Posts: 1,064
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thinking my chain is finally getting to the point at which I need to change it, so can anyone recommnd any decent 8sp chains/ recommend avoiding
I reckon I can afford between œ10-œ15, but anyhting else is pushing it at the moment

Also, if I'm getting a new chain, do I need a new cassette? Because according to Wiggle I will:
'If you change your chain, you must replace the cassette sprockets at the same time or the new chain will skip over them under load.'

Oh, and my drivechain is all Shimano, mainly Acera and Alivio IIRC
Cheers

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

<center>Reality Is But A Figment</center>

Comments

• The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    SRAM PC48 and above.

How old is the chain/cassette?

If more than 3 months and ridden regularly i would change both.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Silver Bullet
    Yeah, I got the bike in November, atm I tend to be riding everyday

Any suggestion for a cassette? I was looking at this but wasn't sure what the benefits of a 11-30 cassette would be instead?

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

• get an 11-30 mega range is fumble in the jungle
  • Silver Bullet
    Any linkies?

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

• Silver Bullet
    Ok, I'm thinking of either a KMC X8-93 8 spd Chain or a Sram PC48 chain, coupled with this Shimano HG50-I cassette

ANy thoughts?

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

• JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    You don't <i>have</i> to change your cassete, but if you don't the chains just going to wear faster and need replacing again soon. The whole "jumping under pressure" thing sounds more like a tactic to get you to buy more stuff. Not saying it won't jump, but normaly they don't.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I experienced a new chain totally refusing to mesh with my sprockets about a fortnight or so ago.
    I'd never seen it, or heard of it happening before. It was as though my freehub was totally knackered.
    Strage.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

You don't <i>have</i> to change your cassete, but if you don't the chains just going to wear faster and need replacing again soon. The whole "jumping under pressure" thing sounds more like a tactic to get you to buy more stuff. Not saying it won't jump, but normaly they don't.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • Silver Bullet
    So its not essential that I get a new cassette then?
    But having said that, if it's going to make my chain last longer, then its worth it, especially as I'm about to make an order from wiggle that will take me well over the œ50 mark, so I'll get 10% off, plus I have some vouchers for there as well which will need using up, so I guess I probably will get one.

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's always advised to change the sprockets and chain at the same time. I actually bought a Sram chain from halfords to get me back on the bike, with the intention of ordering a cassette from CRC/wiggle.
    I'd just never seen a new chain slip so badly before.

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • Silver Bullet
    Ok, cheers for your advice

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

• ian_worby
    ian_worby Posts: 331
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Its not really a tactic to get you to buy more, if you change the chain it will almost certinaly slip under pressure. Chances are it'll be when your starting to go up a hill or when you want to put a burst of speed on, and you'll know about it