Mud and Mechs

x-isle
x-isle Posts: 794
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
First of all, can I just say that last night was probably a bad idea to go round my local trail in the forest. Muddy is an understatment!

Anyway, many years ago I was a leg-shaver and was used to crisp gear changes with little to gunk up the drivetrain. Now that I'm on top a mud catcher I don't get as smooth a drivetrain.

My current setup consists of;

Rear Mech: 07 XTR
Front Mech: 06 Deore LX
Rear Cassette: 06 LX
Crank: 06 Deore Hollowtech
Chain: SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin

I've set the gearing up perfectly on the stand and works great, but I assume that I just have to expect the odd mis-gear when the bike looks like it's been rolling with the pigs.

Also, when I'm pedalling hard I can hear a click, well, click is probably a bad description as it's not apparent enough to call a click. It seems like it's from the crank which would point to the BB, so, I changed the BB and the click(-ish) is still there. I've noticed that the rear cassette does have a small amount sideways play (on the hub), could it be this, but the noise is simply transmitted through the chain back to the crank, which could also equate to the odd mis-gear when the bike is as dirty as an Eastern European Hooker?

Thanks all!

Craig Rogers

Scott Scale 50 (2006)
Craig Rogers

Comments