No power on Hope Mini

Simple Jumper
Simple Jumper Posts: 1,376
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
So, I've just brought a rear Hope Mini (not a Mono Mini), fitted it fine, but there's bug<b></b>ger all power, the wheel won't lock no matter how hard I pull the lever.

Any ideas why? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to hydraulic brakes.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Norco. (Very Old Photo)</font id="black"> </center></font id="size1"><hr noshade size="1">

Comments

• Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    New or 2nd hand?

Probably need to bed the pads in if new...
  • Simple Jumper
    Second hand.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Norco. (Very Old Photo)</font id="black"> </center></font id="size1"><hr noshade size="1">
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Does the lever feel spongey? if so - let pads bed in then bleed, also check for caliper alignment, if that doesn't stop it, rebleed.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • Simple Jumper
    Lever doesn't feel too spongey. Caliper alignment is good. I'm gonna rebleed it later.

• Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    If it's not spongy don't bother bleeding it. Rotors/pads contaminated?
  • rubber side up
    are the pads glazed? pop them out, have a look and see if they have a glossy surface. if yes, rub them down with some sandpaper.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    take the caliper body apart...pop the pistons and clean everything with brake cleaner..they are quite easy to dissasemble..it was the first bit of bike mechanics i ever did..then fill the top cap up with dot.4.1 brake fluid and bleed..check the ring round the piston body for wear

mine work fantastic now...
    still some of the best brakes around

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=148766
  • TE
    TE Posts: 4,087
    If theyre literally brand new and just fitted, the pads wont have worn in yet. When they wear in itll be much better.

If youve had them a couple of rides then theyre probably contaminated, or need bleeding.

<hr noshade size="1"><div align="left"><font size="1"><font color="red"><b><u><font color="red">uber sexy <s>laydeez</s> landeez</font id="red"></u> </b></font id="red"></font id="size1"></div id="left"><div align="right"><font size="1"><b><font color="black">H</font id="black"></b></font id="size1"><font size="2"><font color="black"><b>DH</b></font id="black"></font id="size2"><font size="1"><b><font color="black">S</font id="black"></b></font id="size1"></div id="right"><hr noshade size="1">
    <center><b><font color="red"> MYSPAZTASTIC...</font id="red"></b>[V]</center>
  • Simple Jumper
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

are the pads glazed? pop them out, have a look and see if they have a glossy surface. if yes, rub them down with some sandpaper.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yeah, they are pretty glazed actually. But I can't get them out due to the pad pin thing being rounded. [:(!]

• ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    On my front mini the pin isn't threaded and it has a rond head. The only thing that keeps it in place is a rubber band/ small o-ring, so I just have to pull it with some plyers. Aren't all minis like this?

WD-40? GT-85?? I'd rather use the old AK-47!
  • rubber side up
    take the retaining safety clip thingy out, and pop the pin out, theres no threads [:)]