Disassembling suntour duro forks

ROCHA
ROCHA Posts: 266
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
This is the fork:
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... &tnid=1214

Exploded view:
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/custom ... loded+view
(if it doesn't work click the icon on the bottom of the previous webpage)

How do you remove the rebound adjuster knob to get access to the 4mm hex head of the bolt underneath it? I was suggested to just pull it hard.
Is it normal for an adjuster knob to be removed this way?

WD-40? GT-85?? I'd rather use the old AK-47!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    oh that little thing at the bottom of the right leg of the duro-E? pull.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    If theres no bolt holding it on, tug it off.

now now ladies [;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • ROCHA
    Thanx! I' m gonna do it this weekend and see how it goes.

• ROCHA
    I've managed to disassemble the fork and get <font size="5"><font color="red">130mm instead of its original 100mm of travel!</font id="red"></font id="size5"> The knob came off when I pulled it like you told me. <font size="6">Thanks![^] </font id="size6">
    While I was disassembling I noticed there were 30mm high spacers next to the negative springs. I hadn't seen any big spacers in the exploded view I'd downloaded and that got me thinking... The 130mm version probably has longer springs and no big spacers. So I've just changed the spacers to the side of the main springs. On the right side (damper side) I've used a stainless steel tube with thin wall as a spacer instead of the original solid plastic spacer. I've filled the damper with the same volume of (new) oil as before, leaving it with more air volume(because of the increased travel and the thin wall tube I've used as spacer). This change in oil height makes the fork feel softer than before in the middle of it's travel. This way I get 100mm of travel with a bit less load than before, the difference is that now it doesn't bottom out, 'cause it has more 30mm of spring to compress![8D] This is quite good, because, before, it used to bottom out, even with maximum preload, in case of a harsh landing. Now it feels alot better going over rocks or down a set of stairs.
    <font size="3">And this only took a bit more than one hour to be achieved![:D]</font id="size3">