New Front Pads

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently had some new brake pads fitted front and back as I sprayed the 2 week old ones with WD40 not realizing that this would ruin them.

The rear pads are fine, slight squeak as I come to a stop using them. The front pads squeak under braking and whine when coasting at speed. I've been instructed that his happens because they are new, however the previous pads which came new with the bike 2 weeks previous made no noise!

How long should the newer ones squeal for, if at all?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Did you clean the discs as well? They may still have remains of WD40 on them.

<i><font color="red">>>>> Torrent is acomin' >>>>></i></font id="red">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • dgowenlock
    dgowenlock Posts: 24
    Check this link

http://www.whatmtb.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9136

<hr noshade size="1"><b>|</b> 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail <b>|</b> Fox F90RL <b>|</b> Avid Juicy 5s <b>|</b> EA70 low risers <b>|</b>
    <hr noshade size="1"><b>|</b> 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail <b>|</b> Fox F90RL <b>|</b> Avid Juicy 5s <b>|</b> EA70 low risers <b>|</b>
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    The brake pads are for Avid Juicy 3 disc brakes. The whole assembly was sprayed with de-greaser in the shop during the re-fitting of the pads. They thoroughly cleaned the discs and calipers before re-fitting the new pads.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    If they're new they could still be bedding in. Try doing a few quick stops, pedalling while braking lightly etc. and see if the noise persists.

<i><font color="red">>>>> Torrent is acomin' >>>>></i></font id="red">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg