xc helmets ?? wot make ??

loz29
loz29 Posts: 2
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
hi i have only just started riding xc , i used to be a downhiller and i am wondering wot is the best helmet to buy ? i do not hav a large budget but anything around œ50 will do me fine any help would be appreciated , thanks alot

Comments

• crud_munch
    crud_munch Posts: 158
    i use a bell sweep for XC which is really nice! not sure how much it was exactly but around 50 i think!
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Giro hex would be good as i persume you arent someone who is going to take riding easily and be more aggressive as you were a downhiller

<hr noshade size="1"><center><h5><font color="red">Kinesis Maxlight XC</font id="red"></h5></center>
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Try some on. Helmets fit different people. What suits one person may be horrible for others.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

an uber pimp XTC and a marginally less pimp Anthem sitting side by side.I like that a lot
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • gungun24
    gungun24 Posts: 214
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crud_munch</i>

i use a bell sweep for XC which is really nice! not sure how much it was exactly but around 50 i think!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The bell sweep xc is 90 quid, its an awesome helmet tho, have had some nasty crashes on it, I have gone thru 2. But with helmets it is important to try them on and find one which fits your head properly.

If it is not comfy it does not matter how good it is.

New pics

My GSpot and Chameleon

Check this out!!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    You do really need to try-b4-you-buy, but I find the Giro Hex an excellent lid.

CyclesUK sell 'em for œ35 with free P&P, which has got to be a bargain!

<h5><center><font color="black">My Album</font id="black"></h5></center>
  • gotta_hurt
    gotta_hurt Posts: 239
    I use the 661 mullet, find it comfy on ride up to 50 miles +. Bought it on e-bay for £35

: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1380892/

:lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try befiore you buy is essential. Bell Slant a good value helmet.
  • Giantlover
    Giantlover Posts: 67
    I'd just try a load of helmets on, its all prefrence
  • trengot
    trengot Posts: 133
    I use a Specialized Instinct Helmet. That was £50. It worked perfected when my head smacked the ground last week (the only big crash i've had with it).

It was also thge comfiest lid in the shop although your head may be a different shape.
  • BRUN
    BRUN Posts: 51
    they speak the truth !

you HAVE to try before you buy

i nearly bought one online, when i went to try it on i found that i needed a large which looked HUGE on my head, so ive since looked at others but im still yet to buy one as i tried loads which i liked the look of, but not once it was on my head
  • trengot
    trengot Posts: 133
    It doesn't really matter what the helmet looks like because (unless your bike has mirrors, which i doubt) you will never see yourself wearing it
  • billy79
    billy79 Posts: 607
    Would suggest going to try some helmets on first, but I have always found Giro helmets to be good value and a good fit. For your budget I would suggest the Giro hex, or you maybe able to find a deal on the Giro Xen which is an awesome helmet.
    A PLACE FOR RIDERS
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk
  • cukrave
    cukrave Posts: 54
    hi guys i used to down hill and now started xc riding and i use the giro xen and its awsome once you have it on you can just forget it they say that they are around £90 but i haggled with a few shops and got it for £69 bargin.
  • think180
    think180 Posts: 36
    Hi, I found that a regular MTB helmet gave me neck problems on a XC bike (especially when racing) due to position. The solution was to buy a road helmet, MTB helmets sat too low on the brow for XC, for me.
    And the above still applies, try them on to see fit and buy the best fit.
  • I didn't know there was a difference between a road helmet and an XC helmet??! is there?
  • think180
    think180 Posts: 36
    bell seem to think so.

I guess road helmets sit higher on the head and give better vision when using drop bars and . Does that make sense?

Less protection at the back of the head?

Lighter??
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    try one on first. Mines a Met, Giro didn't fit me very well.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Giro Zen all the way - tip top! :D
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    some of the specialized helmets such as the air force or the chamonix are a good budget buy
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Just got one. Wanted a Hex, but nowhere round here stocked them and I'd decided definitely to try first.

Looked at the CyclesUK hexs and a lot of other sites. You can get good deal, but the sizes are very limited. I think the £35 @ CyclesUK was small only.

Ended up at JEJames and got this

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cat1004/id33800.html

prod_33800.jpg

Loads more venting than my others
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235

I own a Bell Sweep. Great helmet, aggressive styling, nice and light, gives plenty of breeze. Would recommend.

P.S downhill costs a lot more than XC
    spammer
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have 2,a Bell Slant which I use for commuting and is great fro £25 and a Giro Hex which I use on the mtb which gives me a bit more peace of mind through having greater coverage,and is very comfortable.

Despite claims for good venting,though I find my head gets just as hot in either.

Go to somewhere like Evans wich has a reasonable range to try on before you buy online. :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Despite claims for good venting,though I find my head gets just as hot in either.

I’ve not actually used the Met yet to compare. Apparently, its my birthday present for tomorrow. Not allowed to touch it till then.

What I can say is there’s considerably more of my bald pate, visible through the vents.