south downs way

flubic
flubic Posts: 289
edited September 2007 in XC and Enduro
im doing the south downs way in august and i was woundering what is a good way for training for it. going out for rides alot?. also what should i take spare cables, innertubes pump tools. also should i take brake fluid just incase it leaks for some strange reason.

also has anyone done it before is there anything u didnt take last time that you would if you done it again ??

my xtc

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1327938/

Comments

• I'm riding it in early july, didn't plan on taking anywhere near that amount of stuff. Just a couple of spare tubes, a pump and tool kit. I'm gonna get my bike serviced a few days before we head off in the hopes that any problems I do have with it at the moment will be sorted out beforehand.
    I guess I'm tempting fate a bit but I can always go back and try again.

Training wise, I've been getting out as much as I can and focussing on the climbs. Luckily I can get to the downs within 15 minutes of leaving home so I get to train the the actual terrain I'll be riding on. No serious riding during the week leading up to it and a big bowl of pasta the night before.

I'll post again when I've done it and let you know how I got on.
    Hope this helps and good luck

Nobbsy
  • My partner and I are also doing the SDW in August.

Any tips and hints would be great..
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I did the SDW in a day last year, with 3 friends. We did have the 'luxury' of my wife providing back-up though, so we had prearranged stops for food. If you're unsupported then I think the main thing is to carry as much food as possible. It's not a technical route, unless it rains, so hopefully mechanical won't be a problem. It'll pay to make sure your bike's in good condition before hand, so new brake pads and stuff like that before you go, rather than carrying them with you. You'll need plenty of tubes and patches, as there is plenty of flint on the route. There are taps for water on the route as well, and these are marked on the Harveys SDW maps, which is useful for navigation as some sections aren't necessarily clear. You might also want to check-out this article - SDW in a day and this website - South Downs Biking for other useful tips. Have fun!
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    Ive done the south downs a few times with no backup and from my experience you cant take enough tubes or patches,6 punctures is my record.Big bowl of pasta a must plus the biggest breakfast you can manage,don't rely on the water stops they are few and far between so fill your camel back when you can.You certainly know you've had a ride at the end
  • rideitgood
    rideitgood Posts: 1,183
    Did it last year with my dad, so we did it in 2 days. I didn't get one punny, or any other technical difficulties yet he ripped his tyre open, and got around 4 or 5 punny's. It's fairly easy in 2 days, but the hills are big. Amazing descents though, made me wish I'd struggled around on my dh bike purely for the drops and shizzle. :D
  • Did you do it east or west bound?

We have 4 days, then my other half isnt a biker.
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • Good ride. Did the SDW with a couple of chums and had an off at (wait for it) 4 mph ! - broke my hand (not my fingers but my hand) and then thought "I must have sprained it, don't be a wimp and just get on and ride"

Rode for 19miles more with this condition until I nearly passed out with the pain :oops: . Stopped @ the jack and jill, had a beer @ the local pub and took the train back to Bedford

Recommendations ?

Links for chain
    Lots of water
    Some good mates
    Phone
    Plenty of lard / carbs

Regrets ? Did it in a day and wished we could have gone a bit slower and taken in some of the views and places off the track.

Good luck
    [/b]
    Whyte PRST-1 Works Special (+ carbon everywhere)
    Felt Superlight XC Racer, Carbon HT
    Pinarello Monvisio - Road
    GT Aero Edge TT Bike (Spinergy / Hed + Carbon)
    4 pairs of assorted running shoes
  • zazer
    zazer Posts: 29
    I did it for the first time last weekend and it was spectacular.

So long as you are taking two days over it, it's not too hard a ride but I would suggest you get used to sitting in your saddle for many hours at a time and get used to climing up hills that are a few miles long (first hill to top of downs on the morning of the second day was about 3-4miles non-stop).

We were lucky enough to only have one puncture in both days out of a group of 5, but we all carried a few spare tubes and patches.

We did have one person drop out (and another join) about 20miles into the first day.

Final advice, make sure your nice and fit, take lots of munchies (cereal bars, nuts, dried fruit, malt loaf) and HAVE A GOOD TIME!!

zazer
    <hr noshade size="1">
    -zazer-
    I See The Light