chain falling off

niall kindersley
niall kindersley Posts: 69
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
ive just taken the smaller sproket off my kona and my chain has been falling off loads not nessasarly when i jump just now and again id rather not buy a chain guide so i was wondering what i can do maybe the deraliure needs adapting or some links taken out

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set your mech up for 2 rings. adjust the stops. if your chain was the correct length before it still is the correct length.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • how do u mean set it up for 2 rings its only got 1 ring now?
    please write back
  • nicklouse
    Oh so it was a 2 ring set up WHY did you not say so. ok by saying smaller you meant of two and not smallest of many. but the English on the forum is not that good at the best of times.

set your mech so that it is locked in place. that will help a bit. but a device of some sort is really needed.

a inner mounted bash ring could help guessing that you have an outer bash.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • yer sorry i had two to beggin with and got tired of 2 so took 1 off (the smaller) ive been looking at devices what on earth does iscg mean and will 1 work on kmy 06 kona scrap thanks
    please write back
  • nicklouse
    iscg basically means three threaded holes around the bb drive side.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • on my frame there is no 3 sticky out bits so what type do i need? it is just normal if u know what i mean
  • nicklouse
    bb mount then or a bb mount to ISCG adaptor... you will also need crank and bb removal tools.

take it to an LBS tell them what you want and ask them how much fitted.

or get a DMR top guide thing that clamps round the seat tube.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • sounds good but the whooe thing of me taking out the smaller chainring was to loose crap and make it tidy but looks like guide it is then not sure wether to splash out on a mrp or something or just a small dmr thing bearing in mind i want it for dj use
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Truvative boxguide, and iscg adaptor [:)] will work just fine

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    set the mech so that the chain wont come off the outside and then get some sort of spacer with a hole through one end to cable tie to the seat tube, this will stop the mech returning to the lowest position. Or just tie something onto the seat tube behind the mech. Bit difficult to explain in words, as they say a picture tells a thousand words, if you're not sure what I mean reply to this post and I will put a picture on photobucket for you to look at.
  • cheers could u do that i dont really want to buy any chain guides and just to be clear its got 1 chain ring o0n the front and ive got a truvative bash ring
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulf2007</i>

set the mech so that the chain wont come off the outside and then get some sort of spacer with a hole through one end to cable tie to the seat tube, this will stop the mech returning to the lowest position. Or just tie something onto the seat tube behind the mech. Bit difficult to explain in words, as they say a picture tells a thousand words, if you're not sure what I mean reply to this post and I will put a picture on photobucket for you to look at.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You can get the mech in its propper position just by tightening the adjustment screws. No need to zip tie stuff around it.

WD-40? GT-85?? I'd rather use the old AK-47!
  • paulf2007
    rocha me old mate, I dont mean tie anything to the mech. the adjusting screw doesn't always stop the mech from moving near to the seat tube and so the chain may drop off.I meant tie something to the seat tube behind the mech.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    The easiest thing to do woud be to fit the small ring back on. Otherwise get an inner bashgaurd, that should keep it from coming off.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>
  • paulf2007
    Hi Niall click on the link and see the pic of what I am trying to describe.
    http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/ ... chstop.jpg
  • soz but personally i think that looks craaaaaap but thats my opinion i might be goin ss soon anyway
  • paulf2007
    niall your a total prat, that was just to give you an idea of what to do. I tied that on for the pic.
  • ok thats why i said personally