Removing pistons from Hope Mono Mini

bobmij7
bobmij7 Posts: 128
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, I have bled my hope mono mini and one of my pistons still doesn't seem to want to move. Also, when i squeese hard on the lever i can see a lil bit of brake fluid trying to ooze out from around the edge of the caliper, when i release the pressure it gets sucked back in again (There seems to be no loss of brake power though)

Only one pistons moves and the other just stays out and rubs against the rotor (Only very lightly). I'd just like to erradicate these problems and I don't know how to go about it (without going to LBS [costs a fortune]).

Anyone heard of fluid seeping out of side of calipers? I don't know why this might happen. Could it have something to do with seals around the piston or something?

Also, I have just discovered that a little bit of fluid seems to be gathering around the two screws that hold the "lid" on the resevoir! Is it because they areent tight enough?

Thanks,

James

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1346326/

Comments

• ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    When you bled them, did you refilled them with the recommended oil? 'cause other oils may damage the seals.
    You need a special tool to remove the pistons and it probably costs a small fortune.
    Your best option is:
    1-tighten all the bolts that may be causing leaks and re-bleed
    2-remove pads
    3-put some wd-40 or similar on the pistons and then push one and then the other a bit in, with a big flat srewdriver, several times 'til both move with ease.
    4-Carefully clean the caliper, so that the pads don't get contaminated
    5-put pads back on and go for a ride.
    6-see what happens[:)]

A few months ago one of the pistons in my mini front brake was stuck and that solved it. However, if it keeps leaking[xx(] you will need a new set of seals and that will be expensive, either you buy the tools you need or take it to LBS.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not put any WD40 near the seals as it may cause the seals to swell.

remove wheel and pads find a way to restrain the moving piston then apply force to the lever to get the stuck piston moving then work back and forth untill free.

Or call Hope and explain the problem.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    You can buy the bore cap tool, its not too expencive. but still, i'd follow nicks advice before you go taking things to bits.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    btw the best lube for brake seals is brake grease or the fluid its self.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown