Lack of power on Avid Juicy 5s?

dgowenlock
dgowenlock Posts: 24
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
The disc brakes (Avid Juicy 5) on my new Stumpjumper have not really impressed me in terms of their stopping performance. I can't even lock the rear wheel when cycling at normal speed on a tarmac road, and I swear I could do with my old V brakes.

So my question is, can you lock your rear wheel whilst riding sitting down at average speed on a tarmac road?

Many thanks,
Dave

2007 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp | EA70 low risers
<hr noshade size="1"><b>|</b> 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail <b>|</b> Fox F90RL <b>|</b> Avid Juicy 5s <b>|</b> EA70 low risers <b>|</b>

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how long have you had the bike? and the brakes?

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BJT
    BJT Posts: 351
    You should be able to! I can on mine... What's the travel like on the lever - will it go all the way to the handlebar grip? If so, possibly need bleeding?

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
  • dgowenlock
    Bikes 3 months old, done approx 300 miles and pads were bedded in under LBS instructions. The front one feels snappier than the rear and the lever doesn't touch the grip. The rear one does touch grip if I pull hard enough, and it makes a slight 'squelching' noise as I release it. It simply feels like its not gripping, sqeeze as hard as I can and the bike keeps going...

Cleaned rotors with slovent and roughened pads slightly as they were a little glazed - this had no effect. Never had discs before so don't know what a lever feels like when it needs to be bled?

Many thanks for any advice/suggestions,
    Dave

<hr noshade size="1"><b>|</b> 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail <b>|</b> Fox F90RL <b>|</b> Avid Juicy 5s <b>|</b> EA70 low risers <b>|</b>
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Has it had it's first free service yet?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">:) README
    [url=mailto:avisforwardedemails@gmail.com?subject=MBUK Moderation]E-mail me if you think i've moderated something wrong[/url] (but don't change the subject or I won't get it)</font id="size1">
  • nicklouse
    sounds like the lever needs ad justing and posibly the caliper re aligning. get it checked out.

Oh what solvent did you use? did the pads go back into the same places? and have you given the pads time to bed back in?

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    thinking about how hydraulic brakes work in general, i'd say that if you encounter resistance in the lever at the normal position, but can put some effort in and manage to pull the lever back to the bar, then it sounds like it needs bleeding.

for reference; I can lock the rear wheel when sat down on tarmac... and I have crappy Tektro Io Mecahinical discs...

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • dgowenlock
    It has had its free service, and I took it to the LBS but they said nothings wrong. The pads should have bedded back in as I went to Cannock Chase on them with no change.

I used to clean the rotors, and left them overnght as to not contaminate the pads. Pads went back in fine, but I might have swapped front/back pads, does this matter? Does a re-bled come under the guarentee?

Thanks so much, you are all being so helpful!

• nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodoo</i>

thinking about how hydraulic brakes work in general, i'd say that if you encounter resistance in the lever at the normal position, but can put some effort in and manage to pull the lever back to the bar, then it sounds like it needs bleeding.

for reference; I can lock the rear wheel when sat down on tarmac... and I have crappy Tektro Io Mecahinical discs...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

not allways. poor set ups have the same feel. as do pads that are not bedded in.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dgowenlock</i>

It has had its free service, and I took it to the LBS but they said nothings wrong. The pads should have bedded back in as I went to Cannock Chase on them with no change.

I used to clean the rotors, and left them overnght as to not contaminate the pads. Pads went back in fine, but I might have swapped front/back pads, does this matter? Does a re-bled come under the guarentee?

Thanks so much, you are all being so helpful!

what did you use to clean the rotors.

rebleed not normally under warrenty.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • dgowenlock
    Cleaned the rotors with Cellulose thinner, its 100% solvent like this one: http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BIRCELT/

"poor set ups have the same feel. as do pads that are not bedded in." What is a poor set up? I can't find anything in the manual about adjusting the brakes other than the lever reach adjustment.

Many thanks Nick :D

• rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Undo the bolts on the top of the caliper, so it can move side to side, apply brake and re tighten bolts. may be a badly aligned caliper

Otherwise, i'd try a new set of pads. just to see if that helps

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • nicklouse
    read it? http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95- ... %20pdf.pdf please do.

also i dont think Cellulose thinner is the best thing to use iirc it does leave a residue behind on evaporation.

Isopropyl alcohol is the best to use or meths for cleaning the rotors of oil or grease.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • grommet
    grommet Posts: 636
    my juicy 5's did this before. i think the pads were slightly contaminated. after about 5 or so runs on my local downhill track they seemed ok though. the rear lever one still comes it quite far but i can still abbubica with it and the power from both breaks is pritty awesome.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Abubaca*

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • grommet
    grommet Posts: 636
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

Abubaca*

ah, thanks...
  • dgowenlock
    As I mentioned, the problem was there before cleaning pads and rotors so don't think this is the issue. Thanks for the heads up on the cellulose thinner Nick, the LBS said any solvent will do, and the bottle said 100% solvent! I'll get some IPA for next time :) I had read the manual but thanks for the link to an online version.

All this info you guys have armed me with has made me realise something is definatly wrong. Off to the LBS this afternoon to see if they can find out whats causing the issues. Also gives me an excuse to try out some EBC pads :D

Thanks again all, I'll post the updates later.
    Dave

<hr noshade size="1">
    [^]Check out my photography portfolio. [^]
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • nicklouse
    it could just be a case that the fluid need a de-gas.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

not allways. poor set ups have the same feel. as do pads that are not bedded in.

Noted, cheers.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA's, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • dgowenlock
    <i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

it could just be a case that the fluid need a de-gas.

nick

Spot on Nick! The LBS said the rear had some air in it as it as the lever was pulling too far back. They must be generous as they have booked it in for a free bleed :)

Many thanks to everyone who posted, was my first post. This place rocks!
    Dave

<hr noshade size="1">
    [^] Check out my <font color="red">photography portfolio.</font id="red"> [^]
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <b>|</b> 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail <b>|</b> Fox F90RL <b>|</b> Avid Juicy 5s <b>|</b> EA70 low risers <b>|</b>