22mm Hayes Rear Disc Brake Mounts

bikejockey
bikejockey Posts: 3
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

First of all apologies in advance for bringing up this old chestnut as I know there have been numerous threads in the past about this subject but none of them actually closed the subject out and confirmed if any of the advice actually worked.

I want to upgrade my Trek 8900SL with disc brakes. The frame has an old style 22mm hayes disc brake mount on the chainstay.

The following appear to be the only options

1. Locate a 22mm Hayes Hydraulic caliper - I have tried ebay but they are virtually impossible to find.( Anybody out there have one to sell)

2. Use a DM-UNI adaptor as sold by the likes of a2z. Because the drop on the frame is not flat I would have to shim it in some way - Has anyone done this successfully and could give me advice on feasibility.

3. There is another adapter sold by a2z called the AD-PMR. I am told there is no space between the chainstay and seatstay to locate the caliper in this option.

4. I have read on one of the threads that Hope actually machined the Hayes mounting to take a disc brake. Anyone know how they did this.

5. If worst comes to worst I will put a disc on the front and a V on the rear

Any advice would be appreciated especially from the subcscibers who came up against the problem in the past and if and how they got round it.

kind regards

Bikejockey

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    call hope and see if they have any calipers left that either have a 22mm nount or will work with their adaptor.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Snapper
    Snapper Posts: 112
    1. I believe Hayes still supply them. Or at least its still listed in my parts triad catalogue.

2 & 3. Shimano did a mount. I found one a few weeks ago but have not a clue where its gone. That fitted most of the gary fishers so will probably fit if you can get one. You can always get any local machine shop to make you one up.

4. Have never seen that one. But I can tell you Hope next to never does custom, one of or old parts any more. I have tried many times. But they did do a old universal fit caliper that will probably fit. You have to have the hub as well though.

5. You can always try and use a universal mount. Or you can do as I did and tig weld a IS mount on. Or take it to some one who can for you.

Hope that helps
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    this adaptor http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/i ... M165H.html but you will need a number 1 caliper and a 165mm disc.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks guys for quick response.

I had already contacted Hope and they have discontinued the C2 No 1 caliper that works with the adapter you suggest. The problem with the UK Bikestore adapter is that there is not enough clearance to get any other type of caliper into the space between the chainstay and the seatpost stay so that is not really an option.

Probably the universal mount is my best option but I suspect it will have to be adapted and I was hoping that maybe someone could give me advice.

I am not up on welding which could be an option. What part exactly would I weld to the frame to fit a Shimano deore hydraulic caliper

Bikejockey
  • si-fly2
    si-fly2 Posts: 5
    Bikejockey, I have a used Hope No1 I may be selling. I have sent you an e-mail.
    Si.
  • kenn72
    kenn72 Posts: 1
    I was searching for the same thing for my 98 Schwinn Rocket 88. Once I figured out they were Hayes 22mm Direct mounts for the disc brake, I contacted Hayes directly. I thought this would help out a lot of people, so I will post their response:

That’s because we haven’t made calipers that fit that mount since 2001. But you’re not outta luck yet. I have a small cache of those calipers back here. Price is $80US plus shipping. Now the fine print. While I can sell a caliper, you’ll need to source the master cylinder, hose, and rotor yourself. What most folks do is buy a complete brake and then swap the calipers over. The Nine or Mag will work just fine with those calipers so there are plenty of available options there. We take Visa or MasterCard only and typically ship same day. If you’re interested let me know.

John Trusky
    Hayes Bicycle Group
    6750 W Florist Ave
    Milwaukee, WI 53218
    888.MTN.DISC

Although this will jack the cost of upgrading to discs significantly, it is the most proper way to do it. I think I might jsut buy the caliper and let it sit for when I sell the frame - someday.

Good luck all.
  • Timbola
    Timbola Posts: 1
    Heres the correct Hayes 22mm set New in Box. :arrow: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1986672/

p4pb13532874.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er um ok....

If he hasn't sorted it out over the last 10 years, he never will. Hasn't been back since 2007 neither.

But possible a world record for pointless thread resurrections.

Well done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools