Jumping on the band wagon

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited June 2007 in The Crudcatcher
I now want a road bike[:I] Think something Giant and preferably something carbon.

How do you size yourself up for a road bike? Presumably reach is more important than standover?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

an uber pimp XTC and a marginally less pimp Anthem sitting side by side.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Giant TCR would be possibly where your gaze might be going?

In general, frames are larger - I ride a Medium XTC, 17" Coiler, but my road frame is 22".

As with any bike, go and sit on a few. You can always change the stem/post/saddle etc at a later date. IIRC the TCR's come in just a few sizes - S/M/L which should make choosing one easier.

<b>Welcome to the Dark Side</b> [:D]

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="blue">Team</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Cake</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Official</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Rider</font id="blue">
    ><font color="green"><b>Lama Cycles</font id="green"></b><font color="green"> <i>"Attitude with Spit"</i></font id="green"> <</font id="size1">
    Official Forum Legend 2006 & 2007</b></center>
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Well you shrinkwrap yourself in lycra and go to your lbs and ask them what bike would fit you, and then try lots, just like with a MTB

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • Andy
    So riding a 19" XTC is roughly a 56 roadie?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    My roadie's a 56 Andrew, any time you want a go, just let me know.
  • El Capitano
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrew156</i>

So riding a 19" XTC is roughly a 56 roadie?

Yes - roughly.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="blue">Team</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Cake</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Official</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">Rider</font id="blue">
    ><font color="green"><b>Lama Cycles</font id="green"></b><font color="green"> <i>"Attitude with Spit"</i></font id="green"> <</font id="size1">
  • Andy
    Totally confused! What am I looking for? When it comes to an XC bike for instance the general rule of thumb for reach is elbow on nose of saddle and hand should be on centre of top cap. Are there any similar rule of thumb style measurements for road bikes for example?

• El Capitano
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrew156</i>

Are there any similar rule of thumb style measurements for road bikes for example?

Don't know, but I'm sure there must be something in the Interwebnet somewhere which will give you a rough guide. I know that climbers tend to have shorter stems/reach than 'normal' riders, but that's all I can think of, off the top of my head.

• Andy
    But should I look for the same leg extension guides as MTB but with a comfortable stretch forward or what?

• The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Capitano</i>

Giant TCR would be possibly where your gaze might be going?

In general, frames are larger - I ride a Medium XTC, 17" Coiler, but my road frame is 22".

As with any bike, go and sit on a few. You can always change the stem/post/saddle etc at a later date. IIRC the TCR's come in just a few sizes - S/M/L which should make choosing one easier.

<b>Welcome to the Dark Side</b> [:D]

But to be fair, IIRC your roadie is quite old, and Giant likes sloping/compact geometry for it's road bikes.

The main rule is try try try. Getting a correct fitting roadbike is more important than getting a correct fitting MTB.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Andy
    OK then basically what am I looking for in a correctly fitting Roadie?

• whyamihere
    A TT that puts you in a comfortable position that you could ride all day in. That's about all.
  • Andy
    Thanks Chris

• El Capitano
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Joe Show</i>

But to be fair, IIRC your roadie is quite old

True. It was also custom made for me, so it isn't a true 22" frame, but pretty close.

If you are that worried about sizing, visit Argos Cycles, who can sit you on their jig to measure your perfect riding position. (IIRC the cost of this is taken off any frame you have built by them).

• yoadius
    yoadius Posts: 541
    As whyamihere said a comfortable reach when your put your hands on the drops with your arms slightly bent. And if you put your heel on the pedal your leg should be straight.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of 'Grease'?
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of \'Grease\'?
  • Andy
    I may well have to take you up on that offer Mr Chris. I believe D*ves Cycles sell Giants, would you be interested in helping me look at a couple?

• bEavoLa
    bEavoLa Posts: 2,809
    currently, i spend most of my days building

THESE

THESE

THESE

or

THESE

i'm still not tempted to get one though, <i>look at that saddle - it'd be like sitting on a raaaazor blaaade</i>*

* - a quote there for anyone who remembers the old Yellow Pages advert

<center><font color="red"><font face="Arial Black">i have a shiny new bouncy bike[:D]</font id="Arial Black"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font face="Arial Black">and a shiny stiff one too![;)]</font id="Arial Black"></font id="red"></center>
    <font size="1"><center>these are the old skool</center></font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><b><center>Scott YZ1 Saracen 2.SixDMR Sidekick2Kona StabDeeLux</font id="size1"></b></center>
  • whyamihere
    Maybe not at D*ve's... Haven't been there since I left. [;)]
  • Andy
    Well anywhere really just to get an idea since you seem to have more knowledge than me!

• Andy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bEavoLa</i>

currently, i spend most of my days building

THESE

THESE

THESE

or

THESE

i'm still not tempted to get one though, <i>look at that saddle - it'd be like sitting on a raaaazor blaaade</i>*

* - a quote there for anyone who remembers the old Yellow Pages advert

<center><font color="red"><font face="Arial Black">i have a shiny new bouncy bike[:D]</font id="Arial Black"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font face="Arial Black">and a shiny stiff one too![;)]</font id="Arial Black"></font id="red"></center>
    <font size="1"><center>these are the old skool</center></font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><b><center>Scott YZ1 Saracen 2.SixDMR Sidekick2Kona StabDeeLux</font id="size1"></b></center>

Can I have a free Cannondale please? [:X]

• whyamihere
    Well anywhere really just to get an idea since you seem to have more knowledge than me!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Aye, anywhere else. Not sure where though, Lakies Wolvo have no roadies in stock, and D*ve's is the only shop I know with decentish levels of stock...
  • Andy
    Brigtown Cycles in Cannock is meant to be the absolute dogs so might be worth a butchers there?

• whyamihere
    Forgot about them. Yeah, I'm told good things, but have never actually been. Will be worth a look though.
  • whyamihere
    That's a good thing in this case. [:)]
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    An important part of road bike fit is the seat tube angle. If the seatpost doesn't insert into your rectum at the correct angle, it can cause all kinds of discomfort, no matter how much lube you use.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I want to jump on a bandwagon [:(]

I have lycra ready too.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Marin Highway 1 - sweet!

The Marin Fire Trail
  • ElephantMan
    ElephantMan Posts: 590
    Just think, when the forums merge, you'll be able to ask a load of roadies [:)]
  • El Capitano
    Erm, is "Nutty Russell's" still going in Walsall? He used to stock roadie stuff. I know John Perks went from Aldridge many years ago (that used to be <i>the</i> place to get your gear from).

[:D]

• Andy
    Yeah Russells is there but hasnt a great range to be honest. Used to be much better but has really gone downhill IMO.