bent rotors... grrr

BJT
BJT Posts: 351
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
If there's one thing that really annoys me on a bike it's bent rotors that drag on the pads and make a fft...fft....fft....fft... noise as the wheel's spinning.
When I got my new bike last week the front rotor was ok but the rear was slightly dragging, I pulled it straight with an adjustable spanner and then it was ok.
I went for a ride today and unfortunately came off 'cos I slipped. After that, the front rotor had bent a slight bit but only a tiny bit, and didn't take much to pull it back to straightness, but the back one was bent to high jamy.
I'm thinking it'd be better to replace it. But a lot of rotors come bent, out of the factory - so how can I make sure I get a straight one? You can't tell by eye when it's not on the wheel.

Also do you think the fact that I did quite a bit of unbending on the rotor originally would have made it significantly weaker? So do any manufacturer make stronger rotors than others that are less likely to bend?

The brakes are Avid juicy 5.
Any advice much appreciated!

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

Support the MBA.
Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">

Comments