Computer guys

Jht
Jht Posts: 1,562
edited June 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Lo all, just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm a mac guy and I don't really know much when it comes to PC hardware, at the minute I've got some packard bell iMedia thing with an Athlon 3200 xp, 512 ram and a geforce FX 5500. I've recenlty started playing half life 2 and counter strike source, it handles these fine on medium settings however I fancy giving PC gaming a pop, and my mac lags a tad too much for my liking when editing lots of RAW pictures so I fancy either buying a tower/desktop on its own, or building a new PC.

So just wondering does anyone know of any decent websites to get cheap/budget gaming towers from (absolute max œ400), or has anyone got any tips or essentials/cards or processors I should be looking to get if I'll be building my own tower (max œ400). And should I stick to XP or go to Vista?

Or does anyone think I'd be best upgrading my current packard bell, thanks [:)]

07 Sponsor - Utopia Optics
Bighit pics coming soon! [:)]
The OrangeJumpageMyspace (only because everyone else does...)
- 22/02/06 -

Comments

• You might be able to go core 2 duo that budget.

If you used a few of the components from the iMedia thing, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad for that money.

The general consensus is that XP pwns Vista.

<font size="3"><center><font color="red">Bike!</font id="red"></center></font id="size3">
    The Internet World Ended On 04/07/2007
  • Thantos
    Thantos Posts: 533
    Have a look on ebay for full systems, there are quite often companies who sell solely on there so they don't have to pay marketing costs.

Here for instance.

<center>
    Shred it,
    it's Stinky.</center>
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by homers double</i>

7" wouldn't fill a small child.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <font color="white"><font size="1">R.I.P Rich</font id="size1"></font id="white">
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Also theres often a lot of used high spec systems on shebay. may be worth looking into that.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • ruane
    ruane Posts: 268
    http://www.image4u.org/host/public/pvie ... mputer.JPG

That would do you perfect - maybe switch the graphics card to an 8600GT when there are some in stock as that would be a more power efficient card and probably a bit more powerful! With 2GB RAM and the cheaper Core 2 Duo based Pentium E 2160 it would make a really decent rig.
  • go for core 2 duo and sli graphics

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
    http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike
  • ruane
    ruane Posts: 268
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

go for core 2 duo and sli graphics
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't be silly - he can't afford that the graphics cards alone for SLi are œ130 each.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    XP Vs. Vista is an odd one.

Basically, Vista's sh[url][/url]it: under-developed, under-supported and over-restrictive. XP's a little better developed and supported, and far less restritive.

But DirectX 10 (MS's version of OpenGL, which a lot of games are written for) will almost certainly not be ported to XP, since that would lessen the massive drive to get people to pay good money for Vista.

Next time I need a gaming box, it's probably going to be a PS3, depending on the uptake of keyboard compatability in games.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">:) README
    [url=mailto:avisforwardedemails@gmail.com?subject=MBUK Moderation]E-mail me if you think i've moderated something wrong[/url] (but don't change the subject or I won't get it)</font id="size1">
  • Jht
    Jht Posts: 1,562
    Thanks for replies everyone, well I had a look around and decided to up the budget a bit, I'd also prefer a pre-built system and I'm considering ordering this: http://www.monkeyware.co.uk/shop/primate.php any thoughts? Thanks [:)]

07 Sponsor - Utopia Optics
    Bighit pics coming soon! [:)]
    The OrangeJumpageMyspace (only because everyone else does...)
    - 22/02/06 -
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

go for core 2 duo and sli graphics

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

your an idiot. money is much better spent buying one decent graphics card over two poor ones.

If you can afford it. i'd be seriously looking at an 8800. the best one you can afford. its by far the best gpu on the market at the moment. kicks the balls off of the ati cards.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike