Tubeless - loss of pressure?

AndyD2
AndyD2 Posts: 10
edited June 2007 in MTB general
Hi all,

I'm runing Mavic Deemax UST rims with Maxxis High Roller UST tyres.

I seem to have a problem with loss of air pressure on the rear tyre, but the front seems fine (and this is without even riding as I'm out with a knee injury at the moment.

Any tops tips for solving this problem? Checked the tyre and doesn't appear to be any tears, and I've replaced the O ring on the valve, just waiting to see if that's made a difference now.

Would adding some kind of sealant also help? Any good/bad experiences with any particular brands?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    leave it untill you are riding again.

but as a general rule they all leak.

some end up sealling better after some use. persistant offenders do need some sealent to help.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • -C-
    -C- Posts: 1,168
    Run some sealant, makes life a lot easier.

I use Just Riding Along milk & not had any issues at all, and very minimal pressure loss, even when its sat there for a month not being used.

Meep Meep!

[:0]
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    What about trying some of the stans no tubes liquid?

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    i am just flabberghasted at people who run tubeless tyres without sealant..
    that small cup of sealant stops all air leaks around the rim and the o-ring let alone any punctures.

The minimal weight gain is worth it for the peace of mind of no punctures.. I took my 18 stone fat arse down a trail the other week and hit so many flints and stumps that when i was spat out at the other end i had milk sealant specs all over my tyres and rims and only a slight loss of pressure.Thats using non UST tyres on UST crossmax enduro rims
    there was a slight split in the sidewall of my panaracer fire on the back also but stans notubes sorted that as well..

thumbs up all round for sealant

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=148766
  • paulio40
    paulio40 Posts: 10
    Andy ... i run ust and my back tire ALWAYS loses more air than the front .. ive ran 3 different sets .. the back tire always loses more air .. i mount them the same everytime ,all i can think is more weight on the back ,BUT like you say ,even when stood dead the back loses a lot more air,freaky innit ?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulio40</i>
    Andy ... i run ust and my back tire ALWAYS loses more air than the front .. ive ran 3 different sets .. the back tire always loses more air .. i mount them the same everytime ,all i can think is more weight on the back ,BUT like you say ,even when stood dead the back loses a lot more air,freaky innit?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That would suggest to me that it's the rim, not the tyre, that's responsible...