Mech Hanger, Repairable?

sirwebster
sirwebster Posts: 6
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I managed to bend my mech hanger and was wondering, rather than fork out 15 quid on a new one, is worth taking it off, sticking it in a vice and bashing it with a hammer to try and straighten it?

on a related note, am i right in assuming that if i upgrade to a hone hub and mech, i will lose QR on the rear wheel?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope.

but find another Qr rear wheel, remove the qr lever. now on your bike remove the mech. now screw the rear wheel axel into the mech hanger. you can now use the "3rd" wheel to get the hanger straight ish. for alingn ment you just compare the two wheels. shoulbe be parrallel vertical and horizontally etc....

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sirwebster
    sirwebster Posts: 6
    I'll give it a go, cheers

anyone able to shed any light on whether you do, as i suspect, lose QR on the rear wheel using shimano hone mech and hub?
  • nicklouse
    correct. you use the hone/saint 10mm through axel.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    Just out of curiosity, as I've considered buying a 2nd hand wheel for 50 euros with a saint hub a while ago but was put put off by the dents in the rim... I' ve seen, a couple of years ago, in a magazine, a ritchey front hub with a 10mm non hollow and non totally threaded axle wich was both axle and QR. Could this kind of axle/QR be used in a saint rear hub?(Is the saint 10mm axle not threaded all the way and easily removable, that is, a genuine through axle?) And if so is there any "aftermarket" axle/QR of this kind available for saint rear hubs?
    The point of having this sistem would be to have the strength advantages of the outer 14mm(? my guess)axle, but to still use a 10mm axle for frame interface and QR. Kind of like the G-sports BMX hubs, except those don't have QR, just the 10mm compatibility and an outer 20mm axle, M10 threaded on the inside ...
    So, is the 10mm axle indeed a through axle and, if so, is there a QR version of it? Does anyone know?
    Oh, and BTW, is the mech bolt M10?
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

correct. you use the hone/saint 10mm through axel.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[off topic]Do you know if you have to use a hone/saint mech? or are there bolts that can be used instead?[/off topic]

and is it spelt axel or axle *confused*

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • nicklouse
    i guess you could put a nut on there.

Axle Axel err dont ask me i have no idea.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Axle

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    As for my questions above, any thoughts?
    Thanx
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Yes as far as i know the saint 10mm axel is a through axel/axle.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike