dmr switchback fork differences/long/short travel

chilled rider
chilled rider Posts: 281
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I have purchased a 'Dmr Switchback' for xc duties/light freeride. I use 85mm mx comp eta at the moment and i now understand the frame likes to have longer travel forks. I like the bike frame but at present i cannot go out and get longer travel forks. Will the frame get damaged if i use shorter travel forks. What will the bike be like to ride if i put these forks on until funds let me update(and wife[:D]) I dont want to knee myself in the face due to the lower fork height. Anyone please shed light on this.

Thx

If my balls are going to be crushed squashed, better do it downhill rather than let a gang of hoodies kick them in
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL

Comments

• ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    The frame won't be damaged by using a shorter fork. However you'll get a very nervous bike because of the head angle getting more vertical than usual and the wheel base getting shorter.Your steering's gonna get really light and it may be difficult to ride no-hands You'll probably have to adjust the saddle to go more to the rear in the seatpost, because of the change in seat tube angle. BB height will also drop a bit, should get close to 295, a bit shorter than usual, but still rideable. All these changes are going to make it more difficult to ride downhill or through rough terrain...
    The good news is going uphill or going fast on flat smooth trails is going to be a lot easyer, especially if your wheels aren't heavy.
    IMO, you should try and see how it handles with your current fork and then decide what to do. You might even like it, if you ride mainly XC.