Need new tyres - advice please

Nickswolves
Nickswolves Posts: 110
edited May 2007 in MTB general
My current Rockhopper tyres are the standard Spesh Roll-X 26 x 2.0" wire bead model and are now in need of replacement. I'm looking for a good all year round tyre (due to UK weather being so unpredictable!) for general trail use. Also, will I notice much difference if I went up in tyre width size?

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    bigger tyre means more rolling resistance, more weight, and more grip when the ground gets drier. When its wet, the tyres may not grip as much though, as they wont cut through the mud as well as the thinner tyres. i do, however find my 2.35 tyres to be really good for all year round. You can also run lower pressures, so you get more grip, as there is a larger volume of air insire the air chamber. You do however, when taking into account of what size tyre, is the space for mud between the tyre and the frame/forks.

It is personal preferance on the size tyres. 2.35 seems to be the most all round size, with larger tyres for DH/FR, and thinner tyres for XC.

<b><font color="red"> MON BICI!!
    myspaz</b></font id="red">
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd stick on panaracer fire xc pro folding for all-year use, buy tbh buy summer and winter tyres much more sensible, and it costs the same in the long run because you only use them for a bit of the year. I use cinders in the summer, but i might get some razers soon and trail rakers in the winter. I'd look for 2.1 in the summer and either 2.3 or 1.8 for the winter depending on the exact type of mud you ride in. 1.8 is better for really sticky, 2.3 will be better for really thin messy mud.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • gravityengine
    gravityengine Posts: 581
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro kevlar 2.1's, possibly one of the best all round tyres there is.

My Bikes howies© Orange Bikes
  • Nickswolves
    Hmmm Panaracer Fire XC pro seem popular. Would you consider these a good upgrade from Roll-x tyres ie. would I notice much improvement? I always have tyres at 40psi, should I be experimenting with pressure, or this ok for general use?
  • gravityengine
    40psi is a good start, then adjust for the terrain (more psi for harder terrain, lower psi for softer terrain)

I've not used the Spesh Roll X's so can't compare, sorry!

• Nickswolves
    Just googled and see pair of Fire XC Pro's for œ40 which seems pretty reasonable.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Tyre pressures are all relative to personal preferance, trail conditions and the particular tyre your using.

I tend to use higher pressures with soft compound tyres. as it makes up for the high rolling resistance that soft compounds give, and it stops the tyre rolling about on the rim so much.

If you could describe the condition of the trails you ride, it would help. as one tyre thats great for generally dry, hardpacked trails would kill you on loose, dusty or rocky trails.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • gravityengine
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nickswolves</i>

Just googled and see pair of Fire XC Pro's for œ40 which seems pretty reasonable.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yup, Merlincycles.co.uk do them for œ40 delivered. (free delivery this week!)

• Nickswolves
    Generally the trails I ride are hard packed through local firs due to tree cover they don't get too wet, but there are a few areas that always appear to stay damp and muddy. Generally 90% hard packed I'd say as avg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd buy cinders then, assuming the mud isn't too gloopey.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!