sram/sachs chains.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2007 in MTB general
hmm, need a new chain, and I'm almost certain that I used to get sachs chains, but I can't find anyone who sells them.
However, SRAM seem to have the same powerlink thing that sachs chains used to, so...

what happened to sachs?

am I just confused, and was it only SRAM who had the powerlink thing all along anyway?

My trusty steed
1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i think sram bought sachs, sram are nice though, IIRC CRC sells sachs chains.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • Anonymous
    nope, no sign of sachs on CRC.
    SRAM it is then, I suspected that they'd been bought out.

these powerlinks were only available from sachs the last time I bought a chain, IIRC.

it's funny how things change when you've been away from the scene a while!

My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    You get a powerlink free with SRAM chains.
    I used to get Sachs chains too after some not too good Shimano chains, now I always use SRAM 9 speed chains.

I'm getting this one next :
    SRAM PC991 cross step
    Dave S
  • Anonymous
    There was a guy in llandegla who's chain snapped on him. he seemed surprised, you know "but it's a shimano chain".
    I told him I always bought sachs chains, and he looked a bit confused!
    funnilly enough, whilst stripping my bike down yesterday, i realised I needed a new chain too!
    Halfords is having some kind of bank holiday sale, so I just popped down and bought myself a new sram 971 chain. Hope it lasts as long as my old sachs ones!

My trusty steed
  • The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    SRAM is now sachs.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Anonymous
    cheers, Joe. At least now I know where I stand!

My trusty steed
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, strange. Just put the new chain on, and it was slipping immediately. I know my sprockets are worn, I was planning on getting a new set from my LBS when it reopens after the bank holiday.

here's the really odd thing though...
    I put my old, worn chain on, and it doesn't slip at all. how can that be? new chain on old sprockets, slips really badly.
    old knackered chain on old sprockets, no slippage.
    hmm. never seen that happen before.

My trusty steed
  • The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    Chain and sprockets/cassette/chainrings wear together.

So your old chain is worn the same as the teeth on your sprockets/cassette.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I realise that, but i didn't realise that a new chain would slip so badly! damn thing made me skin my kneecaps on my forks' crown again!

My trusty steed
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    SRAM chains are made in the same factory that used to made SACHS chains. The company is Transmeca and it's just a couple of miles from where I live.
    http://www.hotfrog.pt/Empresas/Transmec ... anicas-Lda
    When sram bought sachs they continued to produce the chains and changed the name imprinted.