Servicing your bike

truespin
truespin Posts: 155
edited May 2007 in MTB general
Are there any FAQs on servicing your bike?
E.g. What you need to do before/after every ride, every month, six months and annually?

How many of you do it all yourself and how many get their LBS to do this?

Comments

• Sam12
    Sam12 Posts: 217
    depends on how good you are at breaking things

i can just about adjust my brakes the rest the lbs does.i should learn how to do it realy

'Scott reflex 20'
  • truespin
    Heh!
    I like getting hands-on with my hobbies - I like knowing how stuff works :)

I built myself a radio controlled helicopter a couple of years ago so am at least able to follow instructions ;)

I'm sure the LBS will do a fair amount to begin with but I'm intending to learn as I go. I've had a look around park tools, which seems to be really good for fixing specific things - but I've not found any basic servicing instructions yet...
  • Sam12
    Sam12 Posts: 217
    what do you meen by basic, mechs and stuff like that

if you need instructions for things like that you need to have a look at the instructions that came with the bike

for anymore tips go on the mbuk website then click on grimetime loads of useful information on there

if it ain't broke don't fix it
  • mongooseTE17
    mongooseTE17 Posts: 328
    Look on park tools its a great website for repairs and servicing.
    http://www.parktool.com/

My Elite!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1331161/
  • truespin
    I was thinking of checklists of things that need to be lubed, cleaned, tightened etc. every ride, ever month or every six months.

Park tools seems to be more about fixing specific problems - I'm looking for the servicing tips to try to stop these things happening ;) or maybe I've just not had enough of a look around there...
  • Nick.
    Nick. Posts: 7
    I clean my bike after every few rides if it gets dirty, if it's just dusty then I just wipe it down with a dry cloth and a brush. I only lube the chain about once a month so it doesn't collect alot of dirt and grime (just clean the chain, dry it off, lube and then run a cloth over it to get rid of excess). Check all the bolts are tight (not overly tight though) every few rides aswell, I work from the front to the back. Every now and then I take the bearings out of the headset, give them a good clean, along with the races and regrease them. Just run through the bike every now and then to check everything looks ok and it should keep it in good condition. As said though if it ain't broke don't fix it.

<center><h6>
    <font color="red">My bike</font id="red">
    <font color="blue">Park Tools</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">Sheldon Brown</font id="red">
    </center></h6><hr noshade size="1">
  • truespin
    Sage advice :)
    Thanks, doesn't seem *too* labour intensive then - I should just be able to pick up the tools as and when I need them too...