tyres please

Boomski
Boomski Posts: 17
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
look sorry for asking as i no its a boring question but for general cross county track and trail riding normal uk conditions various surfaces what size tyres should i be running front and back?
i ride a specialized 2007 hardrock disc[8D]<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">

What secound childhood? this is still my first!

Comments

• Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 are perfect for most of our conditions and good for people who can't be arsed changing their tyres for different conditions.
  • Boomski
    Boomski Posts: 17
    thanks.
    some of my mates are going slimmer than that and they think that they are faster is this right

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Summer tyres a 2.0-2.3" is perfect. You get less roling resistance with thinner tyres but you also sacrifice a bit of grip as the tyre has a smaller footprint.

I really recommend the Michelin XCR AT tyres. They are lightweight and offer plenty grip without being terribly slow rollers. Pretty useless in the deep mud though.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • KeelKlein
    KeelKlein Posts: 144
    Can't understand all this fat tyre stuff, back in the day we were using 1.25's and 1.5's Hardpaks and MudDawgs, then the Panaracer Smoke and Dart came out along with the Onza Porcupines (in white). I'm using Panaracer XC's 1.8's at the moment but am seriously thinking of going back to a pair of 1.5's just to get some decent speed up on the trails during the summer as wide tyres seem so "draggy" when climbing and then see how they go in the winter.

If you look at motorsport they tend to go one of two ways, narrow to cut through the mud to solid(ish) ground or wide to float over, I have never got a Landy stuck with narrow tyres as they aways seem to cut through but mates with wide tyres seem to get a harder time and need towing or winching a lot more.

I know the sport has evolved but true XC equipment (narrow tyres, long top tube hard tail frames, etc, etc) is hard to find ;).
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeelKlein</i>
    I know the sport has evolved but true XC equipment (narrow tyres, long top tube hard tail frames, etc, etc) is hard to find ;).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You mean out of date XC equipment...

That's like saying a true car has carburettors, no synchro-mesh gearbox and no catalytic converter.
  • KeelKlein
    KeelKlein Posts: 144
    You've seen my mini then?
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    No decent modified car in sprints and hillclimbs that I do wouldnt dare have a cat, loads have carbs are they are much better than standard fuel injection and cheaper than the only other alternative, throttle bodies. I give you the synchro mesh ones though, drove a Fiat 126 a while back which doesnt have it on first, would get tedious in traffic!! :)

2005 Azonic Propulsion
    1998 DMR Trailstar
    1992 Breezer Lightning Pro
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Back on point... nobbly nick on front and racing ralph on the back with another nick for the back in winter. I'd go for 1.8 or 2.1

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I like the cushioning effect of a wide rear tyre, it may be draggy as hell, but I think the improved traction and softer ride more than make up for the extra width!

I like the Panaracer Fire XC Pro too, but I think the Panaracer Cinder is that little bit better in all conditions. The Panaracer Rampage is supposed to be good too, but I've not tried it yet.

I'd love to try the renowned Knobby Nick / Racing Ralph combo, but they're so expensive!!

<h5><center><font color="black">My Album</font id="black"></h5></center>
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Im running racing ralph front and back and in the right conditions they are extremly fast. Well worth the money

<hr noshade size="1"><center><h5><font color="red">Kinesis Maxlight XC</font id="red"></h5></center>
  • T-XC
    T-XC Posts: 38
    im running kenda nevegal on the back and kenda blue groove on the front. they are soft compounds but have lasted me well, and still got more tread to go. the nenegal is quite fast and grippy! good tyres i reccomed them

Giant XTC SX
    Giant XTC SX

Ferrari all the way!
  • T-XC
    T-XC Posts: 38
    forgot to put they are 2.1 front and rear

Giant XTC SX
    Giant XTC SX

Ferrari all the way!
  • munchkin2
    munchkin2 Posts: 238
    but the blue groove and nevegal are really heavy.

meep, 'Quote' George Morton " wahoo, I'm popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695
    meep, \'Quote\' George Morton " wahoo, I\'m popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695
  • oki
    oki Posts: 123
    happy with my new panaracer cinder tyre.
    "It\'s so easy, Even Drummer can do it"
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Just fitted some new Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 folding tyres and they are great, roll pretty fast too, even on tarmac (on way to local trail). Big difference over the stock Spesh tyres I had prev.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • BRUN
    BRUN Posts: 51
    S_J_P wrote:
    I'd love to try the renowned Knobby Nick / Racing Ralph combo, but they're so expensive!!

<h5><center><font color="black">My Album</font id="black"></h5></center>

get them from www.bike24.com