full sus as fast as hardtail?

whitedragon
whitedragon Posts: 54
edited May 2007 in MTB general
I have just had my bike stolen and need to replace it [:(]. I did have a 2004 GT Avalanche 0.5 hardtail.

I am looking for a really fast light hardtail the can take a bit of punishment. But I am now wondering if any of the dual sus bikes with lighter frames and fancy suspension could compete with the speed and tight feel of a hardtail on the flat but soak up the bumps cross country?

Any recommendations in either camp?

(budget wise I initally thought ? 800 but that looks insuficient now so I think max is ? 1500 ish [but if theres something mindblowing for ?1800 mention that too :) ]).

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I would suggest the Giant Anthem as an extremely light and nippy FS bike but it depends what you mean by "punishment"! Its not going to like jumps or dropping off things but it will do you well on the majority of UK trails. The Anthem 1 is about œ1700 I think and it has the Fox forks, XT kit and some DT hubs and rims. Good quality stuff really. At a guess I would say it weighed about 24lbs so its nice and light and the Maestro suspension is going to make sure its pedal efficient.

Fancy something a bit tougher? Kona The King (2006) would suit the bill me thinks. Bulky tubes but still lightweight with some cracking kit on it. Should be about œ1500-1600 if you find a good deal.

There is also the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I love mine as a mile munching machine. There is very little pedal bob and it eats up the singletrack. Its not very light in its standard guise though.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • whitedragon
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

but it depends what you mean by "punishment"! Its not going to like jumps or dropping off things but it will do you well on the majority of UK trails.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep trails is pretty much what I mean. Charging down a trail and hitting a sticking out root I want the bike to suck that up and not end up snapping the frame or anything. But from what I have seen others do I don't think I am in any danger of damaging a bike.
  • ddoogie
    The Anthem will cope with that kind of riding no worries. Its supposed to be an awesome trail bike.

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• rich_teague
    rich_teague Posts: 121
    At Bristol Bikefest (the only XC orientated race I've been to) Anthems were everywhere. And the fact that Giant managed to sell all of the ones they imported first time rounds says something about how good they are.

If they're good enough for Oli Bekinsale, then they are most likely good enough for you.

<hr noshade size="1"><center> <font color="black">Needs</font id="black"> <font color="black">More</font id="black"> <font color="black">Speed</font id="black"></center>
  • skinheadjc
    skinheadjc Posts: 704
    one of the other mtb mags (mbr?) did a test on full sus vs hardtail a month or so back, using two readers and a couple of wyte bikes over the same course - the full sus was predicably slower on the ups (not by much though) and much faster on the downs and slightly qicker on the flat sections. over all the full sus won.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center><font size="1">RockhopperFS RIP 1993-1995</font id="size1"> <font size="1">Lavadome RIP 1995-1996</font id="size1"> <font size="1">Heckler RIP 1996-1998</font id="size1"> <font size="1">ChuckCRFS RIP 1998-2000</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Trailstar RIP 2000</font id="size1"> <font size="1">Chameleon RIP 2000-2002</font id="size1"> <font size="1">Pashley 24mhz RIP 2002-2004</font id="size1"> <font size="1">Chase RIP 2006-2007</font id="size1">
    Long Live The Turner Rail & Leader LD-510H</center>
  • whitedragon
    The thing I use my bike to get around 90% of the time (on the roads). I don't want to feel that all the speed has been taken out. I looked at the Specialized epic with its 'brain' suspension. Would this make a full sus hardtail tight?
  • ddoogie
    If you are going to be road riding for 90% of the time then perhaps two bikes would be more suitable? A road bike and a decent hardtail for œ1000 or so.

If you were to put extra air in the rear shock on a FS bike it would effectively lock it out for road use. Then, when you want to do some off road, you could swap the tyres and reset the shock.

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• whitedragon
    The thing is most of the time that 90% 10% split will be in the same ride. I will go road, trail, road.
  • miggillicuddy
    miggillicuddy Posts: 554
    I've also got a stumpy, fsr. My local ride would probably be about a 60:40 road/off-road ratio. I don't find the road riding too gruelling. Just fire on the lock-off and you're away. But If you're looking for something lighter for 1500, I wouldn't go for the stumpy though, it's not quite as nippy on the road as I'd like.

The anthem deffinately sounds like a good bet. Test one out and see if it fits the bill[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitedragon</i>

I looked at the Specialized epic with its 'brain' suspension. Would this make a full sus hardtail tight?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's pretty much the idea of the brain. The epic is focused on racing so it's not particularly strong and wouldn't hold up to <i>that</i> much abuse. Still, if you're not a very aggressive rider, it could be the answer.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="teal">~~</font id="teal"><font color="black">S</font id="black"><font color="maroon">tump</font id="maroon"><font color="black">J</font id="black"><font color="maroon">umper</font id="maroon"><font color="teal">~~</font id="teal"></center>
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Depends on the rider to say if a full-susser is faster than a hardtail.
    Hardtails are lighter so might be better in some cases for climbing although short travel light full-sussers stay in contact with rocky climbs better making climbing easier on some climbs.
    Downhill though, a mid travel full-susser should leave a hardtail standing.
    It's horses for courses though, I wouldn't part with my Cove Stiffee for anything but also really enjoy riding my full-sus bike. Then again I just enjoy riding bikes fullstop.
    It's a close run thing but for best of both worlds, a 4-5inch rear travel full susser with light build would probably be the one bike for everything.
    Dave S
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    specialized "no brain" more like. I have had two s works stumpy's the first with septune shock and the second with the brain. Personally it doesn't do anything but allow you to change the sag. Go for a trance, I've got the advanced and it is the .....nuts. Great uphill and down<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitedragon</i>

The thing I use my bike to get around 90% of the time (on the roads). I don't want to feel that all the speed has been taken out. I looked at the Specialized epic with its 'brain' suspension. Would this make a full sus hardtail tight?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • whitedragon
    If I can get hold of a Lightspeed Pisgah frame, is this as good as it looks? Does titatium really soak up the bumps?
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    yes it does, I have an airborne black widow hardtail( its available) and an airborne road bike and both are a comfortable ride.