XT

greeg
greeg Posts: 41
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,
i intend getting a Shimano M761 as my new chainset.
Can anyone answer these queries,do i need to get a new front mech too?
Do i also need to change my shifter as it's an Alivio?
Also will i have to change my chain to a 9 speed?
Thanks for any feedback,regards.

Comments

• The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    What's your current setup?

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • Trail_Builder
    Trail_Builder Posts: 1,992
    if your chain wasn't speed before, and you gunna change to a 9speed cassette, you WILL need a 9speed chain

this is because 9speed is thinner than 8speed or whatever

Adam<hr noshade size="1">
    <center><font size="5"><-- <font color="blue">www.SouthernFreerider.co.uk</font id="blue"> --></font id="size5"></center>
  • greeg
    My back axle is either a 8 speed or 9 speed,i can't remember.But, i'm running it 7 speed.I've a XT m761 rear mech.
    The current chainset is an Alivio or an Altus.Individual chainring are not replaceable as they are all welded together.
    Front mech is a 10 year old XT mech.
    My shifter are Alivio,7 speed for the rear.
    Cheers
  • The Joe Show
    Your current front mech will be fine.

No you don't need to change your shifter.

No you don't need a new chain.

The only thing you <i>might</i> need is a new bottom bracket with a longer/shorter axle, depending on what your chainline is with your current BB.

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
  • greeg
    I'll be getting the BB bracket with the chainset.
    I'll need to take it to a bike shop for fitting,do you khow how much i should exect to pay?
  • The Joe Show
    Every bike shop is different, but I would say around œ20, as you <b>will need to</b> get your frame faced before fitting the BB. If you don't the bearings will die very very very quickly.

Myspazzzzz
    Less gears, more beers.
  • greeg
    Can't say i've heard of frame facing,what is it?
  • The Joe Show
    http://www.smartcycles.com/frame_prep.htm

Scroll down to the relevant bit.

Myspazzzzz
    Less gears, more beers.
  • greeg
    Thanks for the responses.
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    If you're running 7 speed, you will need a new hub to run 8 or 9 speed unless it's possible to get a 8/9 speed freehub body put onto your current hub.
    7 Speed freehub bodies are shorter than 8/9 speed ones so you wouldn't be able to fit the cassette onto your current hub.
    Dave S
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dave_s</i>

If you're running 7 speed, you will need a new hub to run 8 or 9 speed unless it's possible to get a 8/9 speed freehub body put onto your current hub.
    7 Speed freehub bodies are shorter than 8/9 speed ones so you wouldn't be able to fit the cassette onto your current hub.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not always, sometimes they put 7 spd cassettes onto 8spd freehubs with a spacer.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • greeg
    I'm running a 7 speed but it's an 8 or 9 speed hub.ie;i've got spacers.The option's there to move up to 8 or 9 but it's not something i'm thinking of doing,at the moment.