Disk Brake Pads, to coppa slip or not?

KeelKlein
KeelKlein Posts: 144
edited May 2007 in MTB general
Ok, I have a Honda Trail bike, i have raced Mini's and other cars and have done maintenance on other cars and vans for years and have always (and i mean always) used coppaslip on the back of brake pads, pins, shims, etc to ensure that they work right and don't squeal, to anyone into cars this is basic practice.

Now i get a Hope Mini for my MTB and everyone tells me not to do the same with this disk set up but no one can tell me why, so learned few why shouldn't I, what is the reason?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've not usually had squealing problems with MTB disc brakes, but, when I do, copperslip has always sorted it out.
    Never heard the advice not to.

My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hope technicians say not to because of the very real chance of the copaslip moving to the pad surface by washing, being muddy etc. Car brakes are usually more powerful and so can cope with a small amount of lubricant on the braking surface whereas a smaller bike brake cannot.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • KeelKlein
    KeelKlein Posts: 144
    Just taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled the Hope Mini (without Coppaslip) I think its the fine dust we have around here getting into the calliper and jamming the pads, when i say jamming i mean ever so slightly making them stick too close to the disk (not fully retracting). Time will tell but its something for me to keep an eye on, and i guess make sure that when i clean the bike to give the calliper a good long drench in clean water.
  • haroexone
    haroexone Posts: 165
    never never use copper slip on louise pads as they have holes in the back plate
    kester
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    Car brake pads get hotter so any small bits of grease can get burnt off which they wont on a hope mini.

I jamed a set of pads trying ;)

<center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    never.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown