StumpJumper 07 - Out of Box

StumpyElite07
StumpyElite07 Posts: 3
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi to all,

I have just taken delivery of a Stumpy Elite 07 [:)].....

Decided to jump in at the deep end to learn as i go along right from the start and so got the bike sent still in bits unassembled so I could have a go at it myself........

Has been 10 years or so since I last worked on a bike!....

Im 31 now..

I have bought a bike tool kit and work stand aswell as shock pump and juicy bleed kit, just wondering if anyone can post a checklist to get me started and if there are any main do's and donts for building up from the box also the best order to go about things??

Any hints/tips for setting up the front fox talas forks and fox triad rear shock appreciated..

Will the crank etc that is already on the bike be at the correct tightness or do i need to check it/how and therefore do i need to check all component bolt tightnesses or should they be ok from the factory...

Do i need a torque wrench to tighten/check stuff as i dont have one yet?

Final question, to bleed the juicy 7's/do they definately need doing out of the box or just if they are spongey.. is it easy enough to do with the bleed kit and how long does it take to bed in the disc pads and should a quick ride around the block and 10plus steady stops do the job..?

Many Thanks for any help in advance... im looking forward to getting the machine built up and ready to hit some trails

StumpyElite07
StumpyElite07

Comments

• iggs
    iggs Posts: 89
    Most of what you need to know is on the park tools website. Its an awesome resource for anyone wanting to mess with their bike

www.parktools.com/repair
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Definately buy a torque wrench and check the torque of all the bolts, this is usually done by the bike shop, not the factory, they may well be correct but there is no garauntee.
    The brakes should be fine from the box and not need bleeding, they need to get hot to bed in so ride down some hills, it should not take too long.
    To set up your suspension refer to the manual and experiment a bit to see what feels right.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    If you have a set of workshop allen keys you should be fine without a torque wrench. I generally use the "tighten it until the appropriate allen key starts to flex" rule. Seems to work fine for me. If you are that way inclined and are worried about damaging components then get one. I built mine up fine without though.

Good luck with it. Cracking bikes.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Cheers for all the info,

Just having a go at it now after my hangover cleared from last night......... riding tomorrow in the cotswolds so looking forward to it... will let you know how it all goes...

StumpyElite07
    StumpyElite07
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    juicy's come pre bled. you may have to re bleed them but its very unlikely. in general brakes take 50-100 applications to fully bed in, i'd advise finding a hill and rolling down it, dragging the brakes, or stopping hard every time you pick up speed.

In general you don't need a torque wrench. i used one for a while, but you learn pretty quick how tight things need to be. still use it every now and then, on expensive components that will be ruined if overtightened. at least if it goes wrong you can say it definitely wasn't overtightened.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike