Creaky Octalink.

dhutch
dhutch Posts: 343
edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
The octalink on my rockhoppers started to creak a bit in the last few days and im just wondering what the best thing to do about it is and what its likly to be?
- The bikes done abut 100, but quite a number of them have been pritty hard miles, and non of them have been on the road really at all.

It just creaks when you put weight on the one pedel (LHS) so i tryed to get that side a bit tighter but couldnt get it to budge. Took it off, put a bit of fairy on it, and but it back as tight as i could get it with a 6inch allen, but it still does it?
- I dont have a puller on me, so i cant take the crank arm off right now, but before i try and do anything else i just though i would touch base with you guys ans see what you thought?

Alternativly it doenst look like its going to come off in the next 3weeks and them im off home (from uni) and the bikes going in for its free service effort.

Daniel

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tighten the cups.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Agree with Nick, exactly the same thing happened on my full-susser which has an Octalink BB with a Blackspire chainset.
    I actually took the BB out, regreased/copaslipped the threads and refitted it and haven't had creaks since (did that last year and no probs since)
    Dave S
  • dhutch
    Right ok, ill have a look at doing that.
    - From what i have read i beleave i should be able to get the crank arm off without any tools, just a light tap from behind, so ill have at that and see how it goes. Will keep you posted!

Daniel
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you need a crank extractor to remove octalink cranks, they've been overtightened, and they're frigged.

My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
  • stepdot
    stepdot Posts: 183
    Try tightening your pedals too, they can creak and sound like your bottom bracket.
  • dhutch
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stepdot</i>

Try tightening your pedals too, they can creak and sound like your bottom bracket.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yeah thats a valid point as well, ill certianly check them.
    - Does anyone put anythign on the threads on pedels? Grease/copperslip/threadlock ?

Daniel