Carrera Banshee

mattlyle
mattlyle Posts: 7
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Hi Just Bought a 2006 banshee on sale for œ360 from halfords fairly new to biking and wondered if this is a decent bike to start with for the money . Wanted a full suspension bike and didnt have a big budget so thought it was pretty good .

m.ryder
m.ryder

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I don't mean to be rude but there is little point asking once you've bought the bike surely?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

an uber pimp XTC and a marginally less pimp Anthem sitting side by side.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • Trail Rider
    Trail Rider Posts: 48
    It'll do OK but you will soon need to upgrade the frame and all the parts as Carrera's are usually stock with crap, but you should be fine on it

Get Riding!
  • johno-xtc
    johno-xtc Posts: 10
    I remember looking at the banshee and wasn't impressed, it is very heavy and i doubt you need a full suspension bike, so have you bought this bike because it looks flash?
  • Trail Rider
    Good point johno-i just didn't want to put off a noob so try not to scare him too much!
  • mattlyle
    mattlyle Posts: 7
    Fair enough, well probs be spending more than i bargained for after all thanx for the honesty. bit gutted now but should have come on here before i let go of my money.Never mind will give it a thrashing till it breaks

m.ryder
    m.ryder
  • Trail Rider
    good idea! Thrash it hard, like a pig!
  • latinthrasher
    latinthrasher Posts: 137
    i have a banshee and i don't mind it, in time i hope to upgrade it to a short travel rig. The frame isn't bad

na te medo
    I BLAME RAISUL...
    anger managment?

Myspace
  • cyclone
    cyclone Posts: 181
    I had a 2003 banshee, in fact I still have the frame.
    I had no probs with the bike at all appart from the forks and shock.

The shock on the 2006 is X-Fusion Glide which is better that the no-name POS that came on mine.

Just change the forks and it will be fine.

<hr noshade size="1">
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure!?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red"><b>My Spesh</font id="red"></b>
    <b>MB-HP</b>
    I used to be undecided but now I\'m not so sure!?

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • johno-xtc
    johno-xtc Posts: 10
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mattlyle</i>

Fair enough, well probs be spending more than i bargained for after all thanx for the honesty. bit gutted now but should have come on here before i let go of my money.Never mind will give it a thrashing till it breaks

m.ryder

Don't feel gutted man! It is still a capable bike and unless you are an advanced rider that needs a top of the range full suspenion, then you will still have fun with it.

Just remember that all Carrera bikes are over priced, and you can always find a better alternative.

They are the type of bikes which look great on display, specs look decent but you soon realise you should have looked around.

I bought my first bike from halfords and never going back there, bunch of cowboys!

Even now when i am buying a bike, i always ask for opinions on forums and act like i am clueless, because it is always good to get a few opinions on board before you make a purchase.
  • diver-boy
    diver-boy Posts: 47
    i got a frame cheap and have built it up, its a decent bike, longer forks are good, hydraulic discs would be good, depends on budget, ride it hard then replace broken parts with good parts and you will have a decent rig
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I had an 03 or 04 model which got me back into riding. I kept up with people on much more expensive bikes and only upgraded to hydraulic disc brakes.

I've now bought the 07 Banshee X through the cycle to work scheme (after a lot of shopping around) and I'm perfectly happy with that too. They are heavy bikes but they do seem to do the job on a budget.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Plus heavier bikes only make you stronger.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • elmotheewokking
    elmotheewokking Posts: 2,279
    mattlyle

runcorn
    United Kingdom
    4 Posts

ZOMG! Two Pints Of Lager and a Packet Of Crisps.

Ahem, the Banshee isn't the greatest of bikes, but it'll do you.

<center>
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by i_used_2b_fukpigonabike</i>

at least it hasn't rashed like my groin.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>
  • bigrud
    bigrud Posts: 175
    Nothing wrong with the Banshee. I have the matt red one (2004 I think). It has served me well. I've upgraded the shock and forks on mine. It's a little jacked up but I like it. The frames are pretty strong. They have a fair amount of gusseting around the head tube etc... I'm 15.5 stone and haven't broken it yet. I know a couple of people with Kona's that have cracked their frames. Everyone said the frame would break, so I bought the upgrades waiting for this to happen. It never so I put them on the Banshee. As with any bike though, regular maintenance is the key.

At the end of the day I ride because I enjoy it. This bike puts a smile on my face and the more people slate it the more I want to keep it. Hard to explain really.

HERE she is.

<b>BiGRUD</b>
    <b>BiGRUD</b>
  • diver-boy
    diver-boy Posts: 47
    bigrud ur banshee looks sweet, nice work, the triples are a good touch!
  • Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet Posts: 1,064
    bigrud, you're bike looks a lot of fun, but i hate to say it, but it just doesn't look quite right? :o
    but yeah, it looks like it is fun, which is good :)

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

<center>Myspazz</center>
  • bigrud
    bigrud Posts: 175
    Cheers guys.

I know it looks a little odd. I think it's because it's so jacked up, but it has superb ground clearance. It is fun though, and I've done some big stuff on it. I keep checking for cracks etc... but it just keeps going. Which is nice. :0)

<b>BiGRUD</b>
    <b>BiGRUD</b>
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johno-xtc</i>

<b>Just remember that all Carrera bikes are over priced, and you can always find a better alternative.</b>

They are the type of bikes which look great on display, specs look decent but you soon realise you should have looked around.

I bought my first bike from halfords and never going back there, bunch of cowboys!

Absolute rubbish. The Carrera's are excellent value for money and the Fury in particular is the the best œ500 bike you can buy.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

an uber pimp XTC and a marginally less pimp Anthem sitting side by side.

• i was looking at it but decided to get a second hand instead but i still like it
    spec big hit yeeeeeee
  • mbukjames
    mbukjames Posts: 240
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigrud</i>

Nothing wrong with the Banshee. I have the matt red one (2004 I think). It has served me well. I've upgraded the shock and forks on mine. It's a little jacked up but I like it. The frames are pretty strong. They have a fair amount of gusseting around the head tube etc... I'm 15.5 stone and haven't broken it yet. I know a couple of people with Kona's that have cracked their frames. Everyone said the frame would break, so I bought the upgrades waiting for this to happen. It never so I put them on the Banshee. As with any bike though, regular maintenance is the key.

At the end of the day I ride because I enjoy it. This bike puts a smile on my face and the more people slate it the more I want to keep it. Hard to explain really.

HERE she is.

<b>BiGRUD</b>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm loving your rims! There sweet and the forks look lush 2!

<font color="red">I don't deserve to have a sig..</font id="red">
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) <---- Mtbing Bunny!
    (")_(")
  • Dunk1994
    Dunk1994 Posts: 4
    As a beginner, you should have bought a Carrera Kracken (œ359)or Carrera Fury (œ449) or if your budget is too small, a Carrera Vulcan (œ159) - The Vulcan is a good choice as it is just a downgraded version of the Kracken at a great price.

I have the Kracken '06 and I love it for XC riding, Although I did upgrade the crappy forks and bottom bracket and rear wheel...

Something to think about when buying a Carrera is if you are intending strongly to use it for hardcore stuff (lol) you will definately have to upgrade the components so you maybe better off with a more upmarket bike for better value. Also, cheaper Carrera bikes (every one of them except the Fury and Banshee X) have very heavy parts e.g. Stem, bar, seatpost etc.

But for a beginner it's alright...

Whoooo and yay... I got me a Carrera Kraken!
    Whoooo and yay... I got me a Carrera Kraken!
  • denzal3
    denzal3 Posts: 326
    Im liking the new banshee 07 (the one with sigletrack rims and marzochhis) looks very good value for money.
  • Stinkyboy
    Stinkyboy Posts: 1,135
    [/quote]

Don't feel gutted man! It is still a capable bike and unless you are an advanced rider that needs a top of the range full suspenion, then you will still have fun with it. <b>true</b>

Just remember that all Carrera bikes are over priced, and you can always find a better alternative. <b>utter balls, give me one bike that has a better spec than that for œ360. they are not over priced, carrera are good bikes for people who want to get into cycling but dont have a wopping buget,like this guy</b>They are the type of bikes which look great on display, specs look decent but you soon realise you should have looked around.<b>like i said, find me a cheaper one! </b>

I bought my first bike from halfords and never going back there, bunch of cowboys! <b>I work there, and i'll tell you, the mechanics at our store are top notch, the bad reputation comes from the fact that we are given bikes that are in near state of collapse and told to make it new again! setting up a expensive bike takes seconds, setting up a œ55 BMX to a ridable state takes a bit of skill</b>
    Even now when i am buying a bike, i always ask for opinions on forums and act like i am clueless, because it is always good to get a few opinions on board before you make a purchase. <b>act clueless?</b>
    [/quote]

HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
    HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Banshee has morphed over the years from a URT bike, a single pivot XC bike into now what I would call a budget All Mountain/Freeride bike. The spec is outstanding for the money, but not a bike I would ride on general trails, unless you are very fit. Light it is not, not an XC bike by any stretch.

IMHO Carrera make some of the best specced bikes available, esp the Fury. As for the store, hit and miss. Some are great, some are dire (worked there for two years, very much depends on the managers view of cycling. Crippled by Head Office too).

<center><font size="1"><font color="red">GT Zaskar LE</font id="red">
    <font color="red">GT Ruckus</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Me!</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Supersonic</font id="red"><hr noshade size="1"><font color="red">Park Tools - help and instructions for all general bike fixes</font id="red">
    <font color="red">Sheldon Brown - info about anything and everything</font id="red"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Rc_mad
    Rc_mad Posts: 6
    so what is the banshee?? xc/freeride/jump/downhill/other??

i just got the 06 version to after two faulty gt chuckers im put off them for life

what are the main things that need upgrade?
    and whats maximum travel avalible front and rear?

cheers[:D]

GT Chucker

http://www.tiny.cc/mybikes

carrera banshee (standed atm:P)
    http://www.tiny.cc/mybikes
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by denzal3</i>

Im liking the new banshee 07 (the one with sigletrack rims and marzochhis) looks very good value for money.

I got one of these earlier this year, bit of a heavy beast but copes with (almost) everything I throw at it. I said almost as I cooked the brakes coming down Fort Bill last week - hire bike next time[:D]
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • hey guy's i know it's old but this is pretty much all i can afford right now, upgrading from the vulcan to a full susser. just wanted a bit of advice, firstly i have a fsa no 11 headset on the way from crc, does anyone know if this will fit it properly? i tried to put a fsa pig ball on the vulcan and it was too small so i'm assuming the banshee has the same size headtube as the vulcan? also in the near future i'd be looking to upgrade the shock, anyone know a good one for it? i'm pretty new to all this so any advice would be greatly appreciated :) i was looking at shocks but have no idea about what size and travel etc as i can't find too much on this frame since it's old. i also don't know how i measure it properly etc, if someone could give me a rough guide to rear shocks too please. i must sound like a real noob here (i am) lol
    cheers guy's :)
  • sorry i should have said it's the frame of the matt red one in the pic above, what yr is that anyway?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aaaaarrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Zombie thread.

You might want to start a new post, with a bit more info.
    It might fit and you need to measure the i2i and travel of the shock.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Banshee headset is semi integrated the same as a Vulcan/Kraken/Fury.

I did measure a Banshee shock a while ago, from memory is a 180mm, but measure it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.