Ouch. Don't read if squeamish!

cyberfyn
cyberfyn Posts: 19
edited May 2007 in The Crudcatcher
jam!

Found a roof tile on the grass last night, so I goes up the loft to investigate..... Water comming in! Starts moving boxes out of the way and trip over a joist. I twist right and my left leg went left. POP! My leg now bends forwards and my kneecap is sitting on the side. I now start screaming like a little girl as the pain hits home, not to mention the shock. Being a first aider I know you have a short time to reduce (re-locate) the joint before swelling, muscle spasm and the pain make it a two man job. So I twist my foot the right way and pop the cap back on..... All the time I'm shouting out in pain. The missus is going frantic, but cant get up the loft because of the step-ladders and the jump you need to do to make it.

I'm now back in one piece, but the shock is setting in and I'm going feint and getting tunnel vision. And dimly wondering how I'm going to get down. 15 mins later the Ambulance turns up, they just poke their heads up the loft (i'm now sitting by the opening) Give me O2 and make sure I'm ok. They can't get me down. another 15 mins and the fire brigade turn up. They strap me to a brace and hoist me down, no problem.

4 painful (how many times do they have to bend my knee) Hours at Kings Mill Hospital Nottingham in the care of the Orthopedic docs and I'm released with major strapping and NHS crutches. Got to go back after the swelling dies down to have scans and nerve damage checks as I'm getting pins and needles in my foot.

Bang goes my Running and Mountain biking hobbies. Also can't drive for 4-6 weeks. And the GTO clutch is not the lightest.

They warn me that has it's been out once it's likely to do it again. So I have to get one of those poncy sports support braces to wear whenever I want to do something other than sitting watching telly

Not a good night. And to cap it off, I've got to sort out a roofer and the house insurance today. And I got maybe 1-2 hours kip.

Ian F.

Very funny Scotty... Now beam down my clothes!
06 BMW Enduro.

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    You can now stay at home and develop your wa<s></s>nking arm.

<font size="1"><b><font color="red">QUERTY QUERTY QUERTY</font id="red"></b></font id="size1">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

"I cant read and I cant spell doo dah, doo dah"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • Why post this, as a n00b on a mountain biking forum?

Unlucky.

<font size="3"><center><font color="red">Bike!</font id="red"></center></font id="size3">
    The Internet World Ended On 04/07/2007
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Some people get all the fun [:(]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    ssux2bu, well and truely mate!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <b>Randal Graves:</b> All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi." - Clerks II
    logo.jpg
  • Flurry
    Flurry Posts: 698
    Ouch, definitely Sux2bu

<hr noshade size="1">
    [}:)]<font color="beige">YOU UNCLEAN ANIMAL,</font id="beige"><font color="red">YOU HAVE <b><font size="5">WORMS!</font id="size5"></b></font id="red">
    <font color="beige">_</font id="beige"><font color="beige"></font id="beige">\_/\_/\_/\__,
    <hr>
    [:)]
    <font>_</font><font></font>\_/\_/\_/\__,
  • bobbobadobob
    bobbobadobob Posts: 206
    shadow conspiracy (because he ain't riding for a while he's gona be putting his efforts into posting!)

• mongooseTE17
    mongooseTE17 Posts: 328
    I dislocated my knee about 3 years ago. It's fine now though.

My Elite
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1261661/
  • cyberfyn
    <i>Originally posted by mongooseTE17</i>

I dislocated my knee about 3 years ago. It's fine now though.

What was your recovery time like? Does it still feel weak, and is there anything you can't do anymore. Any advise would help mate. I'm gutted. I have done the last 5 london marathons and have been mountain biking since the mid 80's.

The doc said gentle bike riding will help with the recovery.... Gentle, yeah right. Spose I'll have to get a road bike now. I have found that Jack Daniels helps though [:D]

Thank's for all your support guys. And I might be a newb to the forum, but I spend more time doing it than talking about it [^]

Ian F.

Ian F.

Very funny Scotty... Now beam down my clothes!
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • JinjaNinja
    Better get yourself some lycra then mate!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <b>Randal Graves:</b> All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi." - Clerks II
    logo.jpg
  • robfox
    robfox Posts: 275
    Hey mate,
    I tore my ACL(anterior cruciate ligament) last year in April, and now it doesn't cause a single problem. I'd say full recovery time for me was 7-8 months. Get better soon! And yeh gentle biking will help it recover. Crank the seat up and go for a ride when you can.

rob

Cannondale Chase
    Transition Bottlerocket
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    Did they give you oxygen or entonox?
    I'm prone to my knee caps moving round a bit so have to do physio to try and stop the fully dislocating (must run the the family as my brother has dislocated his about 5time, and even chipped the kee cap doing it once)

<center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    </center>
  • cyberfyn
    <i>Originally posted by mbukfan</i>

Did they give you oxygen or entonox?
    I'm prone to my knee caps moving round a bit so have to do physio to try and stop the fully dislocating (must run the the family as my brother has dislocated his about 5time, and even chipped the kee cap doing it once)

Don't remember really. Must have been the Gas and Air mix as it made me feel a bit woozy. Got to start gentle phsio next week. Not looking forward to that [xx(]

Got my missus to put my bike on the stand so I could give it a good clean and service. Wonder how long I can milk it though [:D]

Ian F.

06 BMW Enduro.
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • huntleth
    huntleth Posts: 917
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Being a first aider I know you have a short time to reduce (re-locate) the joint before swelling, muscle spasm and the pain make it a two man job. So I twist my foot the right way and pop the cap back on.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nice job..... and yuck.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center><b>
    ||
    Most Useless Forum Member Nominee. </b>

I refuse to use pinkbike...
    My GT</center>
  • mbukfan
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyberfyn</i>
    Don't remember really. Must have been the Gas and Air mix as it made me feel a bit woozy. Got to start gentle phsio next week. Not looking forward to that [xx(]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    It does make you feel someone odd (it can also give you an erection but I can't say I was thinking about that at the time they gave it to me

<center>
    </center>
    <center>
    </center>
  • cyberfyn
    LOL. The only thing on me that was going stiff was my leg...... Oh and the wife!

Ian F.

06 BMW Enduro.
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • JinjaNinja
    Entinox FTW

Or just good ole laughing gas. (hippy crack)

<hr noshade size="1">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NeillyB</i>

I used some blueberry flavoured one we got from the free clinic once

NEVER AGAIN

My penis was blue for 3 days
    logo.jpg
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,041
    Entiniox as in "gas and air"?

If its the same its crap. I had my side raped by a doctors hand and all they gave me was gas and bloody air. It was FTL in the worst way possible.

<b><font size="1"><center><font color="red">When God created mountains he meant them for climbing, not to be used as glorified toboggan runs.</font id="red"></center>
    <center> <font color="blue">Riding for <i>Team Cake </i>in 2007</font id="blue"></center></font id="size1"></b>
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cyberfyn
    I agree. I could have done with a morphine shot before they got me out the attic. The Gas and Air mix just made me a bit dizzy. Still bloody hurt though.

Back for a scan tomorrow............

Ian F.

06 BMW Enduro.
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • JinjaNinja
    Ahh, G&A for pain is cr@p, for fun though...;)

<hr noshade size="1">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NeillyB</i>

I used some blueberry flavoured one we got from the free clinic once

NEVER AGAIN

My penis was blue for 3 days
    logo.jpg
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Sounds like you had a good day! Hows the roof?
    - Serously though, i hope you get better soon and it doenst wreck your biking/running efforts.

Daniel
  • cyberfyn
    Looks like I dodged the bullet on this one [:D] I went for an MRI scan on Monday and it shows no significant damage to ligaments, cartilage or muscles. Everthing was just badly stretched and strained, but nothing snapped. My doctor is also a trained sports phisio and he says it's down to me relocating everything within a few seconds. If the joint and cap is out of place for any longer period of time or is hyper-extended that's what causes debilitating ligament damage.

I've still got a couple of months physio to look forward to, but it already feels much better. I'm going to do a few road miles at the weekend. If I clip in with my right leg I can be lazy with my left [;)]

Ian F.

06 BMW Enduro.
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • whoareyou
    whoareyou Posts: 39
    good luck getting better dude! [:)]

who said i ever "liked" you...?
    <font color="green">try this...</font id="green"> [:)]<font color="green">...or maybe this...</font id="green"> [:(!]
  • mbukfan
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

Ahh, G&A for pain is cr@p, for fun though...;)
    depends on the person using it, It's fairly fast acting but also fast to wear off. Since you can have as much as you can breath in in a space of 24hours it's also considered quite a safe one to use. Since it's self administered it's also very easy to give which is why first aiders can do a short course and then give that

<center>
    </center>
    <center>
    </center>
  • BJT
    BJT Posts: 351
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyberfyn</i>

They warn me that has it's been out once it's likely to do it again. So I have to get one of those poncy sports support braces to wear whenever I want to do something other than sitting watching telly

Your missus might not be too pleased about the aesthetics aspect, but you could just go the mechanical route - replace your entire knee with the ball joint off a car. You could even give yourself suspension while you're at it. Might need to oil yourself every so often though.

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
  • cyberfyn
    Now there's an idea. Robocop style mountain biking [B)]

Ian F.

06 BMW Enduro.
    06 BMW Enduro.
  • whoareyou
    actually sounds fun....the oil would get messy though

<font color="green">try this...</font id="green"> [:)]<font color="green">...or maybe this...</font id="green"> [:(!]
  • s7ick
    s7ick Posts: 16
    Oooo *pictures knee not attached to leg*

Unlucky!
    Sux2bu mate, it really does..

<hr noshade size="1">
    I've found Jesus!
    He was behind the sofa the whole time..
    Can you still have sex though?[:)]

I seem to have a severe addiction for [;)]

Pinkbike Album!!(UPDATED PIX!)
    <hr noshade size="1">
    I\'ve found Jesus!
    He was behind the sofa the whole time..

I seem to have a severe addiction for [;)]

Pinkbike Album!!(UPDATED PIXS!)
  • whoareyou
    what the hell is sux2bu? please tell me becuase its not my fault the i fell off my bike and hit my head...