"to see" front light recommendation, please

accountdeleted
accountdeleted Posts: 51
edited October 4 in Commuting general

Hello fellow commuters,

It's getting dark and I'm searching for a better lighting "to see" for pitch dark country lanes.

I've had 2x Moon Meteor Auto (Pro 600lm and older 400lm) for few years, both on full beam, one aimed closer to the front wheel and the other aimed further ahead to extend the beam.

It works fine, but it's been few years and I'd prefer to have one light "to see" and keep one of the Meteor lights as a back up.

I'm guessing I'd need something with:

• 800 - 1000lm
  • A wide beam angle
  • At least 1.5hr of full light before charging
  • USB charge
  • Is "dipped beam" feature a standard these days?
  • Not looking for top-of-the-range lights (e.g. Exposure) but something reliable

What do you use and what would you suggest, please?

Happy commuting everyone.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,927
    edited October 4

Personally I rate the Ravemen lights, which can be purchased at not crazy prices if you shop around.

I have a CR1000 for under a Garmin mount on one bike, but on the commuter/winter bike I have a pair of PR1600s - I also have a PR1200 which I have passed onto my partner for her winter bike.

I like the PR's as they have a headlight type lens which is meant to not dazzle oncoming traffic as much, and you have a 'full beam' button should you encounter a pitch black piece of road suddenly.

The 1600s also have a wireless remote, and I managed to pair a single remote to both lights, so can change modes, switch on beam etc from the one button.

*Annoyingly it looks like the 1600 may have been replaced by a 2000, which is a reasonable percentage more, and he 1200 is now a 1400, but still has the old wired remote.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,762

Look at lights that meet the STVZO German standard as they have a cut off designed not to dazzle and more light goes where you need it. https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/stvzo-bike-lights

I bought one of these last year https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne/Power-HB-Drive-STVZO-500-Front-Light/13KZX It's brighter than my old Exposure Strada even though it has fewer lumens.

• Ah great suggestions, thanks @daniel_b and @veronese68.

I'll look into Ravemen - I'm not bothered about having a remote switch because I never had one and I don't feel I need one (could it be one of those things where once you experience, you won't go back without it?).

Never heard of StVZO so that was useful info. I can definitely see it's advantage in a built up area, I'm not convinced it's helpful in a pitch dark country lane (I guess StVZO could be similar to driving through a single lane with only dipped beam)? I'll look into it more.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,762

OK StVZO not so much use to you. I have an unusual need in that I ride through Bushy Park which is very dark, the deer are impossible to see, but there are plenty of people walking or cycling in the opposite direction. So something very bright that doesn't dazzle is good for me. I don't understand people riding through there with lights on flash, they must enjoy seeing deer at the last minute that look like they're at a disco.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,927

The remote switch is a nice to have I guess, when I was commuting on pitch black country roads full of pot holes and debris, I found it very useful to be able to maintain my position on the hoods and toggle through the light settings.

On a previous commute, pre handlebar remote, as the sun started to come up, I was busy adjusting my light to save battery, and managed to smash through a sunken manhole cover - seated.

Buckled wheel, though thanks to it being disk brakes, I managed to ride complete the commute in, and ride the 20 miles back home, though by the time I was back home it was somewhat the worse for wear 😐️

I use a pair of them, one either side of the stem, the one on the left angled down towards the kerb a bit more, the one on the right angled further up, and between the two I get a good spread of light, though I still take it easy on dark descents.

If you remember, would be nice to hear what setup you end up going with :-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18