Specialized Sirrus 2008 - new drivetrain

roof30
roof30 Posts: 48
edited September 28 in Road buying advice

I have a Spesh Sirrus 2008 that I use primarily for commuting. I've kept it in pretty good nick since I bought it new, but the gears are slipping and I've just got a new triple crankset for it (don't want to use a double) as the teeth on the sprockets are very worn. Also want to replace most of the drivetrain so the bike is good to go for many years to come. Have a new cassette, chain and bottom bracket on order.

My question is: the bike has still got the original Sora 8spd long cage rear derailleur on and they don't make these any longer. Will the Acera 8spd M3020 sgs fit as a direct replacement? If so, will I need to change the hanger too, and if so to what?

Thanks, Ruth

Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,517

I have done this on my winter/touring Specialized Allez. I used a Deore mech (changing from the Sora that was on there as I moved to a 32 or 34 lowest gear and needed a long cage mech to do that).

So, not the same bike and not the same mech but I would imagine, as it is 8 speed, it will be fine and doubt you would need to change the mech hanger. The only thing I had to do other than the switch of mechs was to get a 1 inch "B" Screw as it wouldn't quite reach the largest cog on the cassette with the supplied one.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 48

Thanks Laurentian, much appreciated.

Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp