La Vuelta 2024:- Stage 16: Luanco – Lagos de Covadonga, 181.3km ***Spoilers***

Luanco – Lagos de Covadonga, 181.3km

Tuesday 3rd September,

Start Time: 11-50BST.

After the second rest day, the riders take on the Lagos de Covadonga. This climb made all the difference at the 2021 race, so expect this to be closely targeted by the GC favourites. The 16th stage travels from Luanco on the Asturian coast to the iconic ascent to the Lakes of Covadonga. The 181.3 kilometers long route takes in two intermediate climbs. The stage features 4,000 metres of climbing. Apart from two intermediate climbs, the riders have plenty more uphill action to tackle along the way. The scenery of the ascent to the Lagos de Covadonga is spectacular and the same goes for the climb. The Lagos de Covadonga are at the end of the road, there is only one side to ascend to the lakes. Primoz Roglic is the last winner at the iconic location.

Profile.

Map.

The Climbs.

Final Kilometres. (Lagos de Covadonga)

What to Expect.

A GC clash is the most likely, and certainly the most anticipated, scenario, although the parcour also affords a chance for an exceptionally strong breakaway rider.

Luanco

Luanco makes its debut hosting a La Vuelta stage departure.

5,935 inhabitants.

This Asturian town’s seafaring tradition marks the lifestyle of one of the Principality’s Northernmost population centres. Secluded among the beautiful Cantabrian beaches, Luanco will be the starting point for a stage that will commence at sea level before heading to the heart of the Picos de Europa National Park.

Mariscada ~ Seafood Platter

Asturias is on the Atlantic Coast, which blesses the region with an abundance of both wild and local fish and seafood. A marisco seafood platter features everything from meaty lobster, crab, mussels, clams and more.

Lagos de Covadonga

Lagos de Covadonga has already hosted 22 La Vuelta finish-lines.

6,260 inhabitants (Cangas de Onís).

The Lakes of Covadonga are composed of two glacial lakes located on the region of Asturias, Spain. These lakes, often also called Lakes of Enol or simply Los Lagos, are Lake Enol and Lake Ercina located in the Picos de Europa range and they are the original center of the Picos de Europa National Park, created in 1918.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

Wout about to retire after crashing against a rock face on the descent having been in the break chasing KOM points.

• Pross

He looks absolutely fucked, had a bike change and tried to carry on but couldn't pedal and looks close to passing out sat on the boot of the team car. Needs some medical support pretty sharpish I'd say.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638

Are they waiting for the/a medical car? Strange that there isn't a medic there right away.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

He was flying too ....not a great year for him ....

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

Christ he's had awful luck this season.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731

That sucks big time.

• Pross

Really hope Poole can get the win, it feels a bit like that year when Wright kept just missing out.

Mas is impressing me in this race. Looks like today will be O'Connor's last in red.

• Pross

Looks like Soler has it unfortunately.

• Pross

He does - Poole bought his play acting, Zanna gets second.

• mididoctors

Soler won something finally

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross

O'Connor keeps looking like he'll catch the two in front of him but then losing ground again. Just about passes them but is losing too much to Roglic.

• Pross

O'Connor saves it - loses just under a minute.

• kingstongraham

O'connor stays in red another day. Fair play.

• mididoctors

Good defending by O'Connor...podium in Madrid not impossible.

• Pross

Should hold it tomorrow too.

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857

Thought the same about similarity to Fred Wright. Showing his hand too much.

• Pross

White jersey is very tight. Skjelmose keeps chipping away at Rodriguez and got another 4" today with just 7" seperating them now on GC.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,530

Good to see someone is watching the right race 😉

Really hoping he turns Gaudu over as well, as I've developed a serious irrational dislike of him. I think he's inherited my PInot/Madiot aversion.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,530

Absolutely gutted for Van Aert. He was absolutely flying in this race, with a potential points and mountain jersey double. After the terrible luck he had earlier in the season I was really hoping he'd nail those.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited September 3

Soler’s tactic of pedalling as fast as he could in the fog, worked a treat.

Everyone thought he was out the back as usual.

WVA’s collision with the cliff looked very nasty. I guess we’ll get a full damage report in due course.

Meanwhile, despite Roglic being right up o’Connor’s bum, the race remains wide open.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

I feel like Roglic could blow up and lose a chunk of time. He’s looked like he’s been on the ropes a few times. It could be he is just riding within himself and not getting dragged into chasing everyone that attacks.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936

Probably thinks he'll defeat anyone close to him in the TT and just has to mark.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney

Would be good if someone did but I think he is more calculating than that and has the measure of those within 5 minutes in this Vuelta.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863

How far to watch this out from guys?

Last hour?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney

Last 20kms unless you really want to see the WvA crash.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    edited September 4

57km