La Vuelta 2024:- Stage 15: Infiesto – Cuitu Negru, 142.9km ***Spoilers***

Stage 15: Infiesto – Cuitu Negru, 142.9km

Sunday 1st September.

Start Time: 12-50BST.

The second week of competing will conclude with a tough Asturian mountain stage. The double climb of Colladiella will add difficulty to a stage that will culminate at the Cuitu Negru – a true Asturian colossus whose toughest kilometres are found beyond Pajares Ski Resort. It's an extremely long drag with an inhumanly steep finale. Operating since 1954, the Valgrande Pajares ski resort is one of the oldest ski resorts in Spain.

The first and only Vuelta stage finish at Cuitu Negru dates back to 2012. Before that it was a rocky dust road, which was asphalted for the occasion. As a thank you to the road workers, Dario Cataldo dug deep on the Cuitu Negru to hold off his breakaway companion Thomas De Gendt. In the fight for GC Joaquim Rodríguez dropped Alberto Contador in the dying metres to gain 2 seconds, while Alejandro Valverde crossed the line 19 seconds later. Chris Froome – third on GC at that moment – lost 2.32 minutes. Perhaps a sign of what is in storm for some unlucky contender?

Profile.

Map.

The Climbs.

The Finishing Kilometres.

Cuitu Negru is 19.5 kilometres with an average gradient of 5.2%. The first 7 kilometres are negligible, but then it begins. A section at 11% welcomes the riders roughly 7.5 kilometres from the finish, while the last 2.5 kilometres are especially brutal. This section goes up at almost 13% and peaks out at 24% just before the finish.

Infiesto

Infiesto makes its debut hosting a La Vuelta stage departure.

2,367 inhabitants.

Infiesto is the main village and capital of the council of Piloña, although it was not part of an independent parish until 1892, when it separated from that of San Juan to form that of San Antonio. Located within the Council of Piloñas, in the heart of the Principality of Asturias, this locality has already seen the La Vuelta peloton ride through its streets, but in 2024 it will become the host of a stage departure for the first time by firing the starting gun for the stage prior to the rest day.

Cachopo

Cachopo is a meaty delicacy from the Spanish region of Asturias, consisting of two veal or beef steaks filled with cheese and a slice of ham. The whole concoction is then coated in breadcrumbs and fried in hot oil. The dish is traditionally served with roasted potatoes, grilled peppers, and mushrooms on the side.

Cuitu Negru

Cuitu Negru has already hosted a La Vuelta finish-line once before.

10,499 inhabitants.

The peak is located on the boundary between Asturias and Castile and Leon, in the northern part of the country. The great Asturian colossus returns to La Vuelta 12 years after its debut.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

Another transition stage I see !!

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,530

Cian Uijtdebroeks DNS, another Covid case

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

Well, those pro pelotoners don't follow the 2m 'rule' do they? 😉

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

Probably didn’t help having him pulling the break back yesterday. He did a huge turn before parking up.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,233

I'm working and furtively following on my phone so it's not easy to follow what is going on. But it looks kind of nuts.

• No_Ta_Doctor

As far as I can see, UAE are trying to see if they can put Jay Vine in the mountains jersey (and maybe bump Sivakov into the top 10 GC?)

Quickstep are all in for Landa, Asgreen has dropped back from the break and they're pulling the peloton with a full team

Gaps are all pretty small, given there are 70km and a cat 1 and HC to go.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Sunday afternoon Vuelta drinking game. Drink a shot every time Carlton says "indeed". Do 20 press-ups every time Sean says "number of kilometres".

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited September 1

Hardcore if you can do that! 😂😅🤣. Most CK sentences would have you in a pickle.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Does Castrillo realise what he’s got ahead? That was a ridiculous attack!

• Pross

Just don’t try it with every “for goodness sake” for goodness sake.

• Pross

Roglic has opened a bit of a gap

• Pross

Just hope Castrillo can hold off Roglic. 1:37 with 1.7km left. Chasers could still get back too.

• Pross

Vlasov closing now. O’Connor fighting but struggling

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Lol

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Use a big gear

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Mas drops roglic in the gloom

• No_Ta_Doctor

Stephen Roche is coming over that line any minute, I can feel it

• mididoctors
    edited September 1

O Conner hangs on to the jersey

• No_Ta_Doctor

*cough cough* Skjelmose brilliant ride again, came in with Roglic. That's going to put him close to the white jersey

I know you all like me to keep you updated on the important stuff 😉

• Pross

That was an impressive win by Castrillo, broke Vlasov with those multiple kicks at the end. Can’t work out if he naturally looks like a bag of shit on the bike or if it is an attempt to bluff. If it’s the latter it’s not going to work for long.

O.Connor holds on for another day but it feels like it’s no longer a matter of if but when he loses the jersey. Have to admit I thought today would finish him.

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971

Castrillo.... one tough guy.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mididoctors

Good stage

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    edited September 1

I thought Vlasov was definitely going to take him. Chapeau to Castrillo.

• Pross

I hope for Ineos’ sake they’ve already got Castrillo’s signature on a contract. They’ve been slow to commit on contracts in the past and there’ll be a few others making him offers if it isn’t a done deal. If they have they may have finally found their new star. Not sure what his TT is like though.

• Pross

Sivakov being UAE’s best GC rider in 10th is a surprise.

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors

Insane incline

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

That was compelling stuff

• He does seem to climb well on the steeper stuff, not that I give two stuffs!!!😆

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors

Castrillo is highly entertaining