Choosing new pedals

Another noob question, this time around choosing new pedals.

From reading around a few sites it seems like there's no real consensus as to best pedals (even top 10 lists vary quite a bit) - I guess it's quite a subjective thing, although a few names do keep cropping up.

Just wondering how people choose theirs. Is it a case of buying a few and returning the unwanted ones, or getting their LBS to swap round a few in the shop?

For context, ones which seem to get multiple good reviews that pique my interest are: Burgtec MK4 Composite, Hope F22, DMR V11 Nylon/Vault.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,452

Whichever you buy ensure that the bearings can be replaced, or be prepared to buy new pedals every few years. Get ones wide enough for your shod feet. Get ones where the pins can be removed and/or replaced. Avoid pedals with moulded stubs masquerading as pins, they go smooth far quicker than you would think.

Back in 2010, I bought a new bike that came with £100 of vouchers to spend in store. My eyes landed on a pair of DMR Vaults for £99.99. (You can get them cheaper now). They were glossy black with bright blue pins, the only ones they had. I loved those pedals, the first proper flat pedals I'd owned; my previous ones were some £5 bear trap style.

In 2014 I bought an additional bike and bought another pair of Vaults. Once again, the only ones I could get at the time were black with blue pins.

Over the years, I have replaced the bearings at least five times; I have no idea which pedals, they both look exactly the same now, scuffed all over and definitely not shiny! But they just keep going. I now only have one bike and so I have one pair with new bearings in my toolbox that are ready to go when necessary. Bearing kits can be obtained from eBay. I believe that the same bearing kit fits more than one type of DMR pedal. I repeat, DMR pedals just keep going.

Whichever pedal you buy, I recommend that you remove the front centre pin on both sides of the pedal. That is the one that gouges your shin bone! You will still get flesh gouged at intervals, but that doesn't hurt nearly so much!

Check the pedals at intervals. You are looking for the pedal body moving up and down or side to side on the axle. If you detect any movement at all, strip them down, clean and regrease. You will get more life out of them. Once you know how far you ride to get that movement, service them sooner next time. Oh, and put some copper-ease on the axle threads so that you will be able to get them off in six months, or however long it might be.

• joah
    joah Posts: 46

Thanks very much Steve, invaluable advice as always!

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,452

Hi Joah, you tried to get in touch with me recently, but this Forum seems to be doing its best to frustrate me answering you. It won't allow me access to my notifications. and it won't allpw me to send a reply to your note. I sent a reply to one of your posts, but I can't now find it, not even the message you sent originally!

Resend you last message please.