How much would you spend on a turbo trainer bike?

As the title suggests, I'm looking on eBay for a bike to use exclusively with a turbo trainer but unsure about the budget. Besides bike size, is there anything specific I should consider?

2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859

Everyone's idea of vfm is different, but personally if I were to have to look for a new bike/frame whatever, should my 2005 Felt break, I'd probably look for something in the region of a £500 maximum bike, and the dimensions, and angles would be key to try and match my current bike as closely as possible - though there is some tweaking you an do with stem length/bar width etc etc

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

As above, frame to match your road bike geometry, smooth drivetrain, and don't skimp on the saddle.

Weight is obviously not a concern. A heavy scaffolding tube frame will be fine.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754

If I were to use ERG mode on MyWhoosh or Zwift I guess I could hook the chain onto one of the cogs in the cassette I have on there and I wouldn't need gears either, right?

2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

Correct for ERG. I wouldn’t want to limit myself but personal choice.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859

You could, but you'd hammer that cog over time, unless you manually changed it - how would it be tensioned?

It would also preclude you using any other apps like Rouvy/IndieVelo for virtual rides I would have thought.

On my turbo bike I spread the wear by going up and down the block for each session, and also utilise both of the front cogs.

I would probably use the 50 up front with a range of cogs from the 11, up to maybe 2/3rds of the way through.

On the inner cog it would be from the 32 to about 2/3rds of the way back down the cassette.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,655

If anything, bike fit is even more important on the trainer as you tend to spend a much greater proportion of your time seated, and pedalling. No coasting along for a break (unless you have a Neo 2T trainer).

You also want one very well screwed together. Being bolted onto the trainer means any creaks, squeaks, ticks, clonks etc are magnified. Seatposts, saddle rails, pedal threads, stems, all need to be really properly torqued up and greased if appropriate.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

I might go to £300ish. My actual turbo bike cost half that but it's a bit rough

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390
    edited July 25

I'm far from the ideal benchmark, being mediocre at best, but all my best cycling exploits came in an era when my turbo was a "dumb" Cyclops fluid jobbie and my turbo bike was whatever old bike (i.e. one with scrap value only) was next in line to be destroyed by sweat, on a single gear. (Chosen to give the right cadence when doing a hard hour-long session.) I think one can over-think these things! That said, I have a WattBike now, and love the flexibility, even if I'm slower than I was "back in the day".