Stiff links developing on rides

skinnydog
skinnydog Posts: 50

Any ideas gents why I keep developing a stiff link every 200 miles? I’ve put new Shimano pins in, but just developed another one today. Chain was new 800 miles ago - Shimano 11 speed? Never had one develop on a ride before. Any ideas?

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

When you say 'pins' I take it you mean a joining pin rather than a quick link - if that link is the stiff one are you confident it is installed correctly? If not, quick links are only a few £ and far harder to get wrong.

If any other link on the chain - what are you lubing with?

• skinnydog
    skinnydog Posts: 50

I’ve always used joining pins, have done for decades, don’t have a tool for quick links , never used them. I’m currently on a European tour and had a spare pin with me for emergencies, and know how to install. The chain was new and after 500 miles, a stiff link developed. I’ve removed that offending link, but 200 miles later, another has developed, it’s not the lube- got that with me too. A few quid at home is lots of euros here at a bike shop 😕. Could the chain be faulty ? ( new Shimano one) ? May have thought one developing is a bit of a one off, but two within 209 miles ?? Mystery to me.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 844

You don’t need a tool to install a quick link. They are easier to remove with one but you can do it with a piece of wire.

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 469

Was the stiff link where you riveted it together ?

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    edited July 23

I'm wondering what sort of chain you are using, because in my recent experience of SRAM, Shimano and KMC, none now recommend using joining pins.