France Battlefield Tours

Hi folks has anyone done the WW1 or WW11 battlefield tours starting in France recently. I'm after advice and recommendations, I've never ridden properly abroad and looking to do either a short 3 day or longer 1wk tour in 2025. Potential milestone birthday present from the family. Advice, observations and recommendations would be appreciated.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 385

I've looked at these before and tbh I actually fancy one of the battlefield rides as I'm into the historic side as well.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    edited July 20

Have a look on Podge's tour website for suggestions for an itinerary (inc lots of beer stops 😊). I've ridden a lot, usually on hire bikes but occasionally taken bikes over, in Westvlaanderen, usually based in Poperinge near Ieper. Lots of history round there. Then you could head south towards the Somme...

Cycling in Belgium is so well supported roads-wise. Good route planner on fietsroute.org. Can download gpx etc.

Add the podge link http://www.podgebeer.co.uk/tour-65-beer-battlefields.html

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

There is a really good book on a race in 1919 across the WW1 battlefields which was re-ridden by the author a few years back, but I can't remember the name, but would give you some ideas.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779

I did the Gent Wevelgem sportive the other year. Its not really hanging around but you can stop and take bits in - Plugstreets, Memorials, Graveyards, Ypres, No Mans Land, battle bergs etc.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner