Brake pads (discs)

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,118

How do you know which ones to use?? Different models, different compound types, etc.

And before anyone mentions rim brakes...they had similar issues...

SRAM Apex 11x

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Good question - awaiting useful answers!

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118

PS it's a gravel bike; a bit of research indicates 'sintered' pads are noisier but better for hard braking, 'organic' are quieter but don't have the ultimate power.

I think I've identified the types of pads.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

There is a very good Trace Velo video on YouTube about brake compound and the effects on braking. https://youtu.be/gocMkGckr5A?feature=shared

But for mixed use road and gravel I would just keep standard resin pads, they take less time to bed in, don't need to 'warm up' and are gentler on your rotors. It's why they are specced as standard.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500

I was told organic pads (braking material mixed with a binder) are grippier but don't last as long. And you get sintered pads where there is lots of braking because they deal with the heat better.

I don't feel much difference, having tried whatever I could get in COVID, but the sintered ones last a bit longer. The heat thing is probably bollocks, and based on a false comparison to ceramic brakes on cars.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,853

Discobrakes have a graph of the various material options showing various properties. I don't know how accurate it is but since they sell all of the options, I guess they don't have any reason to favour one over another