Why should I buy an iphone to my teenager?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831

In fairness it's just that one thing. But I can do it fine on the owa version.

• First.Aspect

No, I don't, because it's for work.

Were you a fan of beramax, mini discs, laser discs, Linux and wotnot?

• rjsterry

No, I run my own business so get to choose what mix of software and operating systems I buy. I don't have to run everything on extremely variable MS apps just because they get bundled with Office 365. Word is a pretty clear demonstration of the problems with that approach.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,802

It really duz me 'ead in when people share docx or xlsx files by email on collaborative things.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635

Just for balance, I much prefer a Word doc with a redline.

• rjsterry

Works fine if it's a conversation between just two people. As soon as you add a third you have multiple copies floating around a people making different changes to each copy.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635

I still like to know what changes everyone has made.

• rjsterry

If they've all made different changes surely it's easier to see these in one document. Track changes is one of the things Word actually does quite well.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,802

Ditto Google Docs: you can see each version, each edit and who did the edits. No confusion about the most up-to-date version.

I think we might be getting away from the thread topic though...

• First.Aspect

Was the consensus no because they are crap, not yet because it's just for vanity, yes if you must, or danger you will inflict brain damage on that child?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,293

The question was ‘why should I…’ so I don’t think anyone has even tried to answer. The only answer I can give to that question is ‘for an easy lie’ as I can’t think of any reason why he should buy one.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048

She's not asking for anything lots of her mates wont have. I'd just get her the iphone if that's what she wants.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry

I personally prefer the Android OS to iOS but iPhones are decent bits of kit and judging by those we have in our family have the longevity. Broadly you get what you pay for the difference being that there isn't a cheap, basic iPhone.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• katani
    katani Posts: 140
    edited June 27

I would steer clear of the "used, refurbished". I got myself an iPhone SE a while ago exclusively for when I am on the bike because it was the only small smartphone on the market at the time, nicely fitting in a jersey pocket, and I went for used, refurbished too. The battery on mine on standby only kept enough charge for a day. So if she wants to use it as much as a typical British teenager, that is, basically having it welded to her hand 24/7, constantly taking selfies, videoing her cockapoo, whatsapping and watching TicToc shit, then she will likely have to be recharging the thing twice a day.

• First.Aspect

Or in other news, they are returns that have barely been used and. As such, represent a bargain. They end up as refurbished because of something that is usually imperceptible that prevents them from simply being repackaged and sold as new.

I'd steer clear of second hand handet only from high street outlets, but from a mobile phone provider you should be fine.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,612

I mean, both options are possible. Which end of the spectrum is the 109 eur model likely to occupy?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,965

I thought this was very interesting, worth a watch. An automous solar powered glider which charges batteries, consequently it can stay in the air for the duration of the li-ion battery life cycles, months!

Relevant here as one of the applications could be used it to replace around two hundred mobile phone mast.

• First.Aspect

Won't happen - safety. Also integrity of coverage in the event it fails, which itself would necessitate redundancy.

On the other hand I've heard arguments in favour of the plethora of small low orbit satellites - in that the internet and telecoms move to low earth orbit, ultimately allowing servers to be (a) distributed and (b) powered by solar rather than in air conditioned data centres.

Hard to tell if this is a self interested industry spin, to disguise that industry's huge launch carbon footprint, or a genuine selling point.

Either way it's happening so I'd not take up amateur astronomy if I were you.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 374

#pep.fermi.

After all the differing opinions and offshoot discussions what did you decide on for your daughter.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • focuszing723

Might do.

Ummm, spying on stuff.

Global warming monitoring.

Zombie apocalypse warning system...

• First.Aspect

Oh .sure they will be up there for other reasons, absolutely. There already are some. But not for civilian telecoms I don't think.

• focuszing723

I suppose you could have a few for redundancy. One advantage they mentioned was price and any hardware updates could easily be made. Mind you the Loon has gone with the wind.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 938

He’s locking her in her bedroom till she’s 25.

• Pross

On the subject of phones, my current contract is coming to an end. I intend giving my current immaculate condition iPhone 13 Pro to my daughter and her iPhone 11 will go to the mother-in-law whilst I upgrade to an iPhone 15 Pro (mainly for the camera). It works out over £20 per month cheaper to move to SIM only with my current provider on the closest equivalent call package they do to my current one (I actually get more data) and then buy the phone directly from Apple on interest free credit over the contract duration. All 3 contracts are up at the same time, we tried to call EE to see if they could match the price but were on hold so long we gave up. The wife and daughter are now SIM only with the smallest data bundle as the wife uses very little and we can gift data to each other so will get nowehere near the overall limit. We're saving a small fortune, even if we'd all got new top spec phones we would have saved doing it that way.

I wonder how many people look at splitting it? It seems like a lot more people are keeping their phones and going to SIM only and we would have done the same but the battery on my daughter's phone struggles to keep up with her usage whilst the mother-in-law needs something with Wi-Fi calling so juggling made sense. I wouldn't have thought to look at buying direct from Apple as I assumed it would work out more expensive and I suspect the vast majority of people do the same.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,612

I have been sim only on giff gaff for years now, buy a new (previous gen) handset and keep it for several years at a time.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross

Yeah, I used Giff Gaff for a while previously and my work phone uses a cheap Lebara SIM only. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the price of SIM only with EE as we get quite a decent discount abeit tied into a contract. I was more surprised that if you do go for a new phone it is cheaper to get it direct than through the contract.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

I have a long history of this and think I've saved enough to buy several phones in the future and still be quids in.

I bought a 5s from Apple and went SIM only in 2013. I have since bought an 11 Pro in 2019. That still does all I need and performs as new so see no point in getting another until that changes. Next year on a 6 year cycle?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

Used to be that the handsets were progressing so quickly it was worthwhile. Now they are all black obloids and do more than I need.