Eurosport No More

pblakeney
pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Couldn't find the right thread so...FYI - I received an email informing me that Eurosport Premium will be ending on July 22. We will get the TdF but after that it is Disco or nowt.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

to be clear, it is still on the Eurosport channel!

It will probably be more economical for people to just pay for satellite TV and get the channels.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Got an email with a 50% of voucher till the end of the year, so that's not too bad.

It's the same massive amount of cycling coverage on Discovery + isn't it?

• pblakeney

Possibly but you lose the Premium bit with zero ads. That's what I was paying for. Ad free coverage.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Fair enough.

I only use Eurosport for RCS races.

• pblakeney
    1. Yeah, that help.
    2. Don't know. Need someone who uses Discovery+ to confirm.

My main concern is monopolies. I forsee price hikes in 2025.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Isn;t it on HBO Max not Discovery?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I'm not aware of any races having been on ES that weren't also on Discovery +. I understand the concern about monopolies but weren't all the providers essentially the same company anyway whichever platform you used?

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 908

I think you get more races as last year the Mountainbike stuff was on the Red Bull channel, it’s now on Discovery.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

If you include ASO, the first couple of stages of this year's Dauphine weren't on the TV channel because of the tennis.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    edited June 21

I posted about this on the old Eurosport player thread.

Despite it saying they are stopping on the 22nd of July, I can't access the Eurosport app on my Firestick, or simply online.

I tried to subscribe to Discovery+ but they couldn't or wouldn't process my payment. Surely, as I am already paying a subscription that ends up in Discovery's pocket, I shouldn't be denied access?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I also haven't received an email to this effect, never mind a 50% off until the end of the year.

Oddly, the app still works on my phone and I can access on demand content on my PC, despite all the messages about closure.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney

I was referring to Rick’s suggestion of the TV providers, not D+. Although I admit to not knowing what is, and what isn’t available as I have never had a TV package. Yes, I was poor and never had Sky 😂.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Webboo2

Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it. I had to do this a few times with the Eurosport Iplayer, I can’t remember if I have had to do it with Discovery. I do find it sometimes sticks at the last thing I watched and I can’t get it to play anything. I have resort to turning the power off to television, then usually it with work. Although the other I had to log back which is a bit of pain on the tv.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

All the MTB stuff was on ES/Disco+/GCN last year. They took over from Red Bull for the 2023 season onwards. This year there's actually less as they aren't showing as much of the MTB stuff

• blazing_saddles

Thanks for that, I am back in.

Apparently I have also now registered with Discovery plus, as an email confirming this appeared in my junk mail.

I assume the fact that I was already subscribed got noticed.

• blazing_saddles

At first glance there doesn’t seem to be half the on demand content of races and the search button doesn’t filter results.

• pblakeney

Thanks! Some reassurance.

I thought they were the same feed, but in competition with each other. Could be wrong.

My current thinking - Watch the TdF, take advantage of the offer till the end of the year (Vuelta mostly) and re-evaluate in March.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles

I've just taken the offer, as it finally arrived in my mailbox. I will go the cancel route in November or December, to see if I then get the offer extended.

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

The monthly sub for D+ and Eurosport player was the same. Once they’d stopped the annual Eurosport billing in December. When my Eurosport annual fee was up in April I switched. D+ better if anything

• stage_hunter

GCN=Eurosport=D+. All the same people. So it has been a monopoly all the time. Which is infinitely better than having to subscribe 3 times to cover ASO, RCS & Flanders Classics.

I doubt they will hike the price up, but to be blunt live sport on your TV/Devices is a privilege not a right.

I saw Jeremy Whittle complaining about Eurosport’s demise this morning……3 days after bemoaning the death of GCN’s website and the lack of paid cycling journalists. Guess what Jeremy…..1- Someone has to pay money, 2- Dont then bemoan when the price of watching cycling on TV goes up to make it economical.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

My Eurosport subscription ran out only last week; I watched the MTB XCC races on the Friday, then tuned for the Le Mans 24 Hours on Saturday afternoon - and it had ran out.

Went to renew it on Sunday morning, and got sent to the Discovery website - and the new £6.99 per month; lots of entertainment included, which I'm not interested in. Saying that, both the XCO & Le Mans were advert free......

Get an e-mail today and have missed out on 50% offer.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Yeah, but Outback Crystal Hunters though. yeah?

• Webboo2

There’s is the climbing which I rarely watch despite being climber longer than a cyclist.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Fortunately they cover more than enough Sport I'm happy to watch: Cycling (all disciplines), Climbing, WSB and BSB, Skiing and Biathlon.

Which is handy as most of their documentaries seem to be about as in-depth and honest as a Party Political Broadcast.....

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Disco monopoly online feels like a captive market

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640

Eurosport is owned by Discovery, so already had a “monopoly”

• blazing_saddles

Now, I have watched much less racing than usual recently and I may be wrong, but are more races now being covered by a single commentator?

Hatch is on solo duty for the Spanish nationals, today and I have watched a few races on catch up, that also lacked a co-commentator.

In the past, I can only recall a handful of races missing a second commentator. Solo commentary lacks any sort of discussion or debate and so makes for difficult viewing.

• stage_hunter

I haven’t noticed. I remember Matt Randell doing San Sebastián on his own a few years ago, but I haven’t noticed it especially. It wouldnt surprise me if we saw it more often, but it’s not great. I know sometimes they only get the rights at the last minute so finding people at short notice might be a challenge. For the national they also just use the organiser’s feed (think the uk nationals is one such race). Hatch might be doing english comms for the Spanish Federation, and Eurosport might be picking that up