chain slack

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998

Bike has been sitting in the garage this past 6 weeks took it out today to wash it, when it was on the bike stand I noticed the chain was slack in the last 4 smallest rear cogs, never noticed this before bike was riding perfect last day I had it out, anyone offer any help on how i can fix this?

Tried posting photos but keep getting a message Validation failed.

https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156
    edited June 15

There is a spring inside the rear derailleur body that swings the cage arm backwards to take up the slack. It’s likely gummed up or broken.

Give it a good clean and wiggle the cage back & forward. If that doesn’t work new derailleur is the best option (very difficult to service the internal spring, assuming it’s shimano or similar).

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 340

Chances are its the spring / pivot point sticking. Hopefully some WD40 and manual intervention will free it off. Make sure WD40 doesn't go near brake track or disc depending on type.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

It actually isn't that difficult to service on Shimano, there is an alley key that lets you take off the whole cage assembly, then you have access to it. Its the same process when you change the cage for an OSPW. You can certainly do it on all the 11 speed mechs I know of (e.g. 5800 and above) You can even buy replacement springs - I know because I accidentally stood on mine when fitting said OSPW...

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156

Ah ok. I was looking at my 10s 105 with the same problem. No obvious way of opening it up.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613

They too, can be stripped, cleaned and regreased fairly easily. The lower spring/pivot needs to be set correctly, but the rest is straightforward. Park Tools repair guide has a walkthrough if the OP still has problems.

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971

Can you physically pull the RD all the way back to where the lower jockey wheel is as far back as it will go.... and presumably if you can all this slack is taken out?

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 469

There are 2 spring packs available

The b limit tension and the plate axle only costs a few quid so worth doing both ,if you're not used to doing this the b limit is the trickiest one to do .